Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Now we are getting somewhere.
Below are two (2) links. The first is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv, which btw can only be sold in Canada. The second is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv 9.

Upon viewing these SDS documents it can be seen the the D Solv is a combination of Sodium Percarbonate which is normally not hazardous to a fish, but this product also contains unspecified Alkalis which are are a very corrosive family of chemicals. In Section 12 of this document it can be seen that this product is ibdeed hazardous to aquatic life at fairly low levels, This may be why it can not be sold in the U.S.

The SDS for D Solv 9 is completely lacking of a section on Ecological Hazard. Does this company have something to hide.

If D Solv 9 has similar effects to D Solv then my original assessment is correct. The fish that died and even those that remain have likely suffered gill damage which is manifested with symptoms very similar to low Oxygen. Same problem.....the fish can't breathe.

I would not perform any more water changes as this product has already been substantially diluted by your previous water changes and additional changes will only exacerbate the stress level that these fish have and are experiencing. All that you can do now is to wait and see if any of the remaining fish recover and to what extent.

http://www.airmaxeco.com/water-gard...ter-additives/crystalclear-d-solv-canada-only

https://store.vanislewater.com/crystal-clear-16-oz-d-solv-9-complete-pond-cleaner-cry-dsolv-9

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Now we are getting somewhere.
Below are two (2) links. The first is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv, which btw can only be sold in Canada. The second is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv 9.

Upon viewing these SDS documents it can be seen the the D Solv is a combination of Sodium Percarbonate which is normally not hazardous to a fish, but this product also contains unspecified Alkalis which are are a very corrosive family of chemicals. In Section 12 of this document it can be seen that this product is ibdeed hazardous to aquatic life at fairly low levels, This may be why it can not be sold in the U.S.

The SDS for D Solv 9 is completely lacking of a section on Ecological Hazard. Does this company have something to hide.

If D Solv 9 has similar effects to D Solv then my original assessment is correct. The fish that died and even those that remain have likely suffered gill damage which is manifested with symptoms very similar to low Oxygen. Same problem.....the fish can't breathe.

I would not perform any more water changes as this product has already been substantially diluted by your previous water changes and additional changes will only exacerbate the stress level that these fish have and are experiencing. All that you can do now is to wait and see if any of the remaining fish recover and to what extent.

http://www.airmaxeco.com/water-gard...ter-additives/crystalclear-d-solv-canada-only

https://store.vanislewater.com/crystal-clear-16-oz-d-solv-9-complete-pond-cleaner-cry-dsolv-9
Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, its been a few weeks now and all the large koi are doing just fine. Just want to post this for anyone else who may encounter this problem.. In the end all the small fish died but the larger ones pulled through to a 100% recovery. Below is what I did for anyone interested;
Sunday 5pm - Overdose (approx 3x the amount)
Monday 8pm - 40% water change & increased air.
Tuesday 12pm - 30% water change (water pumped from neighbors pond to avoid chlorine, but was very dirty)
Wednesday - 6 cups water conditioner
Thurs & Fri - 250ml Melafix (I think you can skip this)
Saturday 10am - 40% water change & water conditioner.
Sunday - Fish started to show a little interest in food again.
Monday - Fish were eating and behaving normal again.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Glad to hear your big koi pulled through, sorry about the smaller ones. From reading your post, it sounds like the biggest benefit in their recovery was water changes and additional aeration ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Glad to hear your big koi pulled through, sorry about the smaller ones. From reading your post, it sounds like the biggest benefit in their recovery was water changes and additional aeration ?
Yes defiantly the water changes helped, the fish noticeably perked up after every change. I think in the end adding a few more air pumps helped but its was the water changes that saved the day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Quilt batting in a crate will help take it out also .Just put it in a spot where it will run back into the pond with a hose from the pump in it .

Ask a Question