D-Solv overdose

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Kaniff, May 30, 2017.

1. Kaniff

Kaniff

My pond was accidentally overdosed with about 8x the amount of the D-Solv pond cleaner. The next morning the fish were noticeably lethargic and clearly oxygen deprived. Due to work restrictions I wasn't able to get home for about 27hrs after the fact. I have just done a 50% water change and added a few more temporary small air pumps until I can buy a bigger pump tomorrow.... A few of the small fish have died but the large fish seem relatively ok. I just walked back inside from my water change and wondering if anyone knows anything else I should do?

Kaniff, May 30, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Kaniff

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

Keep doing this, but change it to 70 percent, every 3 days until you reach one week.

DutchMuch, May 30, 2017
    Kaniff likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Kaniff

Kaniff

I guess 3 days is the earliest I should change the water again? The fish dont look any better this morning im tempted to do another change.

Kaniff, May 30, 2017
  4. Kaniff

Kaniff

Im wondering if I should maybe look at quarantine options and drain the pond completely.

Kaniff, May 30, 2017
  5. Kaniff

Kaniff

Ok heres a thought; I want to keep doing water changes to try and get this chemical out but im wondering if this product has stripped the beneficial slim off the fish and maybe adding fresh water might be also doing harm...Should I be changing out more water or leave the water in and focus about more aeration?....Or change water and ramp aeration?

Kaniff, May 30, 2017
  6. Kaniff

sissy sissy

First how big is your pond in gallons as the amount of Dsolv may not have been as bad as you think and are you using city water as that can do more harm .I would concentrate on more air.I would try quilt batting in a crate with hose from pump going into it to see what you may pick up .The color of the quilt batting will tell you a lot .Did you also test your water with a liquid test kit

sissy, May 30, 2017
  7. Kaniff

Kaniff

The pond is about 2,500 gallons (12'x8' surface area). Right now I drained an additional 40% and im pumping my neighbors pond water back in.

Kaniff, May 30, 2017
  8. Kaniff

Kaniff

Not sure if I should start another post or just keep adding to this one. Im just going to post what has happened so far and what im doing to fix it, if anyone has any tips please let me know.

Sunday 6pm: D-Solv overdose (approx 3 cups into 2,500 gallon pond, reg dose should of been 1/4 cup)
    Monday 8pm: 40% water change and increased aeration.
    Tuesday 12pm: 30% water change, refilled with mostly neighbors old winter pond water then about 15% hose water.

So far i've lost basically all my small koi, fantails and goldfish, even the plants dont look to well....My 10 large koi are still defiantly not acting like normal but they are still all alive. They dont seem to be gasping for air at the top as much but they defiantly are still very lethargic and seem "dazed". I have a few small survivors in what little quarantine tank I could build. They look like the slim coat has been stripped as well as gill damage.

Today & tomorrow im just going to leave everything. Friday night im going to do a 50% water change and refill with hose water, then add water conditioner. Im hesitant to add ANYTHING to the pond but I think pond water conditioner is warranted here due to the risk of chlorine poisoning with all these water changes & to help promote their slim coat regenerate.

Kaniff, May 31, 2017
  9. Kaniff

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I can not find any information on-line concerning this product. Is it an algicide, a muck buster or what?
    If you have a Dissolved Oxygen problem the larger fish will die first as their Oxygen demand is considerably higher.
    Water changes may actually be adding additional stress to your fish.
    Need to determine what the problem really is first.

Meyer Jordan, May 31, 2017
  10. Kaniff

Kaniff

I agree there isn't much info out there on the stuff other than the standard info on the label. I called the company that makes it but really all I get were salesmen giving me generic answers. No real information on what to do if something goes wrong or what exactly it does. Based on what I saw in the beginning it was defiantly an oxygen depletion issue and now im seeing slim coat damage on the small survivors/dying. The D-solv wasn't mine, it wasn't the algeside one it was the other pond cleaner maintenance (blue label, liquid)...The water changes have defiantly added stress but I figured I had to get the chemical out of the pond so I was in a damage control situation....Im leaving everything now for a few days to let everything settle down...All I want to do now is one final 40%-50% change to switch out the garbage water and hopefully get on the road to recovery.

Kaniff, May 31, 2017
  11. Kaniff

Kaniff

Oh and I hear you about the larger dying off first but for my situation it is the smaller fish that are dying off, the larger fish for now seem to be weathering the storm....But absolutely a lack of oxygen issue is one of the culprits.

Kaniff, May 31, 2017
  12. Kaniff

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Did you test the Dissolved Oxygen level?
    Without documentation one can only rely of visible signs. One of these is unequivocally that the larger fish perish first because they require more Oxygen than a smaller fish. If the smaller fish died first, you can positively rule out Oxygen depletion as the primary cause rather some toxic substance (chemical ) introduced into the water column. Additionally Oxygen depletion will have no effect of a fish's slime coat, toxic chemicals will.
    Who manufactures this product?

13. Kaniff

Kaniff

The manufacturer is Crystal Clear..Do you think I should add a water conditioner or just leave everything alone at this point?

Kaniff, May 31, 2017
  14. Kaniff

Kaniff

D-solv-9 was the product used.

Kaniff, May 31, 2017
  15. Kaniff

Lisak1

According to one site I read D-Solv 9 has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Lisak1, May 31, 2017
  16. Kaniff

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Now we are getting somewhere.
    Below are two (2) links. The first is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv, which btw can only be sold in Canada. The second is to the Safety Data Sheet for D Solv 9.

Upon viewing these SDS documents it can be seen the the D Solv is a combination of Sodium Percarbonate which is normally not hazardous to a fish, but this product also contains unspecified Alkalis which are are a very corrosive family of chemicals. In Section 12 of this document it can be seen that this product is ibdeed hazardous to aquatic life at fairly low levels, This may be why it can not be sold in the U.S.

The SDS for D Solv 9 is completely lacking of a section on Ecological Hazard. Does this company have something to hide.

If D Solv 9 has similar effects to D Solv then my original assessment is correct. The fish that died and even those that remain have likely suffered gill damage which is manifested with symptoms very similar to low Oxygen. Same problem.....the fish can't breathe.

I would not perform any more water changes as this product has already been substantially diluted by your previous water changes and additional changes will only exacerbate the stress level that these fish have and are experiencing. All that you can do now is to wait and see if any of the remaining fish recover and to what extent.

http://www.airmaxeco.com/water-gard...ter-additives/crystalclear-d-solv-canada-only

https://store.vanislewater.com/crystal-clear-16-oz-d-solv-9-complete-pond-cleaner-cry-dsolv-9

Kaniff likes this.
  17. Kaniff

sissy sissy

Shock from water temperature change could not have helped .

sissy, May 31, 2017
  18. Kaniff

Kaniff

Thanks for the advice.

Kaniff, Jun 1, 2017
  19. Kaniff

Kaniff

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, its been a few weeks now and all the large koi are doing just fine. Just want to post this for anyone else who may encounter this problem.. In the end all the small fish died but the larger ones pulled through to a 100% recovery. Below is what I did for anyone interested;
    Sunday 5pm - Overdose (approx 3x the amount)
    Monday 8pm - 40% water change & increased air.
    Tuesday 12pm - 30% water change (water pumped from neighbors pond to avoid chlorine, but was very dirty)
    Wednesday - 6 cups water conditioner
    Thurs & Fri - 250ml Melafix (I think you can skip this)
    Saturday 10am - 40% water change & water conditioner.
    Sunday - Fish started to show a little interest in food again.
    Monday - Fish were eating and behaving normal again.

Attached Files:

• fish.jpg
      fish.jpg
      File size:
      166.3 KB
      Views:
    Kaniff, Jun 21, 2017
    sissy and Tula like this.
  20. Kaniff

Tula

Glad to hear your big koi pulled through, sorry about the smaller ones. From reading your post, it sounds like the biggest benefit in their recovery was water changes and additional aeration ?

Tula, Jun 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question