D-Solv overdose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
My pond was accidentally overdosed with about 8x the amount of the D-Solv pond cleaner. The next morning the fish were noticeably lethargic and clearly oxygen deprived. Due to work restrictions I wasn't able to get home for about 27hrs after the fact. I have just done a 50% water change and added a few more temporary small air pumps until I can buy a bigger pump tomorrow.... A few of the small fish have died but the large fish seem relatively ok. I just walked back inside from my water change and wondering if anyone knows anything else I should do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Keep doing this, but change it to 70 percent, every 3 days until you reach one week.
I guess 3 days is the earliest I should change the water again? The fish dont look any better this morning im tempted to do another change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Im wondering if I should maybe look at quarantine options and drain the pond completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Ok heres a thought; I want to keep doing water changes to try and get this chemical out but im wondering if this product has stripped the beneficial slim off the fish and maybe adding fresh water might be also doing harm...Should I be changing out more water or leave the water in and focus about more aeration?....Or change water and ramp aeration?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
First how big is your pond in gallons as the amount of Dsolv may not have been as bad as you think and are you using city water as that can do more harm .I would concentrate on more air.I would try quilt batting in a crate with hose from pump going into it to see what you may pick up .The color of the quilt batting will tell you a lot .Did you also test your water with a liquid test kit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
First how big is your pond in gallons as the amount of Dsolv may not have been as bad as you think and are you using city water as that can do more harm .I would concentrate on more air.I would try quilt batting in a crate with hose from pump going into it to see what you may pick up .The color of the quilt batting will tell you a lot .Did you also test your water with a liquid test kit
The pond is about 2,500 gallons (12'x8' surface area). Right now I drained an additional 40% and im pumping my neighbors pond water back in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Not sure if I should start another post or just keep adding to this one. Im just going to post what has happened so far and what im doing to fix it, if anyone has any tips please let me know.

Sunday 6pm: D-Solv overdose (approx 3 cups into 2,500 gallon pond, reg dose should of been 1/4 cup)
Monday 8pm: 40% water change and increased aeration.
Tuesday 12pm: 30% water change, refilled with mostly neighbors old winter pond water then about 15% hose water.

So far i've lost basically all my small koi, fantails and goldfish, even the plants dont look to well....My 10 large koi are still defiantly not acting like normal but they are still all alive. They dont seem to be gasping for air at the top as much but they defiantly are still very lethargic and seem "dazed". I have a few small survivors in what little quarantine tank I could build. They look like the slim coat has been stripped as well as gill damage.

Today & tomorrow im just going to leave everything. Friday night im going to do a 50% water change and refill with hose water, then add water conditioner. Im hesitant to add ANYTHING to the pond but I think pond water conditioner is warranted here due to the risk of chlorine poisoning with all these water changes & to help promote their slim coat regenerate.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I can not find any information on-line concerning this product. Is it an algicide, a muck buster or what?
If you have a Dissolved Oxygen problem the larger fish will die first as their Oxygen demand is considerably higher.
Water changes may actually be adding additional stress to your fish.
Need to determine what the problem really is first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I can not find any information on-line concerning this product. Is it an algicide, a muck buster or what?
If you have a Dissolved Oxygen problem the larger fish will die first as their Oxygen demand is considerably higher.
Water changes may actually be adding additional stress to your fish.
Need to determine what the problem really is first.
I agree there isn't much info out there on the stuff other than the standard info on the label. I called the company that makes it but really all I get were salesmen giving me generic answers. No real information on what to do if something goes wrong or what exactly it does. Based on what I saw in the beginning it was defiantly an oxygen depletion issue and now im seeing slim coat damage on the small survivors/dying. The D-solv wasn't mine, it wasn't the algeside one it was the other pond cleaner maintenance (blue label, liquid)...The water changes have defiantly added stress but I figured I had to get the chemical out of the pond so I was in a damage control situation....Im leaving everything now for a few days to let everything settle down...All I want to do now is one final 40%-50% change to switch out the garbage water and hopefully get on the road to recovery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I agree there isn't much info out there on the stuff other than the standard info on the label. I called the company that makes it but really all I get were salesmen giving me generic answers. No real information on what to do if something goes wrong or what exactly it does. Based on what I saw in the beginning it was defiantly an oxygen depletion issue and now im seeing slim coat damage on the small survivors/dying. The D-solv wasn't mine, it wasn't the algeside one it was the other pond cleaner maintenance (blue label, liquid)...The water changes have defiantly added stress but I figured I had to get the chemical out of the pond so I was in a damage control situation....Im leaving everything now for a few days to let everything settle down...All I want to do now is one final 40%-50% change to switch out the garbage water and hopefully get on the road to recovery.
Oh and I hear you about the larger dying off first but for my situation it is the smaller fish that are dying off, the larger fish for now seem to be weathering the storm....But absolutely a lack of oxygen issue is one of the culprits.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Did you test the Dissolved Oxygen level?
Without documentation one can only rely of visible signs. One of these is unequivocally that the larger fish perish first because they require more Oxygen than a smaller fish. If the smaller fish died first, you can positively rule out Oxygen depletion as the primary cause rather some toxic substance (chemical ) introduced into the water column. Additionally Oxygen depletion will have no effect of a fish's slime coat, toxic chemicals will.
Who manufactures this product?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
The manufacturer is Crystal Clear..Do you think I should add a water conditioner or just leave everything alone at this point?

Ask a Question