damaged water lily pads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, two days ago, I noticed damaged pads of one of my waterlilies (Colorado).
It looks somewhat like this
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/ponds/brickpond/snaildamage.jpg
This waterlily just started growing about one week ago, had two small pads, both are chewed now and so are newly emerging one, and even one that just started growing (6'' under water surface) is damaged.
The lily is in small pond together with two other lilies. Perry Baby also started growing one week ago or so (they both were planted in the beginning of April, so it took them awhile to wake up), his pads are also somewhat damaged but not so much. Another one is Attraction from Lowes, has bigger (thicker) pads and doesn't seem to be damaged.

We're in city, no turtles around (lots of toads though), didn't see any stails either.

Any idea what could be the culprit, and how to fight it?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks like an insect or maybe snails. Flip the pads and see if you can find the culprit.

The good news is once your lilies start growing full pace, the pads will quickly reproduce. Pull the damaged leaves off as the new ones appear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I already checked the the pads and couldn't see anything but small mosquito larvae, or could it be some kind of worm or caterpillar?
Also when I saw the damage two days ago, I immediately put some plain small goldfish in the pond and looks like they took care of the larvae, whatever it was, can't see any under the lily pads now.
Even the leaves that are developing are damaged :-(

Ask a Question