Did you dig it?

Reaction score
kelkat said:
I cheated and had a backhoe do most of the work. I still want to dig an area for a bog and an edge for plants, but the bulk of the work was done by machine, not man!

Probly a dumb noob question, but what's a bog? When someone says bog, I think of those foggy english horror movies where the fog is so thick that you can't see the werewolf.

Reaction score
lol! That's a bog, a haunted area of your pond!
I'm sure kelkat has the same definition, but a bog is a gravel and dirt area full of water, though not over the surface of the soil, where you can grow water plants to your hearts content and it will be full of frogs and toads!
What I've done and many people do, is filter the pond water through the bottom of the bog and the plants and bacteria do a heck of job eating up nutrients in the water that otherwise feed algae. It's the only filter i use and it has worked impressively for 4 years now, though my bog "pond" is quite large.

Some countries actually filter their sewage through fields of "bogs"/wetlands, that's where i got interested years ago when i saw that on a show.

Reaction score
Olee said:
dig deeper and bigger!

"I do wish it was bigger, but now I am hoping to add my swimming pond next year and use this as a feeder bog for that......... "QUOTE]

Olee, are you planning to use it as a filter?
That's where I'm at right now with a deep hole in the back of our acreage that i'd love to use as a diving pool someday, BUT! I do not want to spend a fortune on some fancy filter. I thought even just a little circulation through a natural media such as one big bog edge may be all it takes to naturalize it and keep it clean-ish. It's working great for my main pond, though that was more detail and work then i want to do again any time soon!

Reaction score
...i wracked my brain to think if i had a photo of my bathroom for ya, stroppy!
My photos are in complete disarray right now (building and changing computers all the time), but you can see the bog pond this summer behind the waterfall in the gallery "My boys on the dock". Plants go NUTS in there! It's also my lowest maintenance garden bed, which i love.

Reaction score
Dug my pond too and I would work for a day and heal for three. Got the heart-rate going though, and man my abs hurt!!!! What a great workout! Three more ponds and I'll have six-pack abs. LOL I am making a garden in another part of the property with the soil I moved from what shall forever be known as the biggest hole I ever dug by myself.. Man, there were a lot of trips with that wheel barrow. LOL Oh and as I found out last night FYI waterfall foam does not come off easily from your hands. OK done complaining now ow.

Reaction score
i dug for an hr after work for 3 weeks, I have that freaking clay in my back yard and tons of rocks, used them all for the decorating.... It was hard work but I didnt kill myself all at once... it was fun... just me and my shovel

Ask a Question