Dividing lotus and lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think I'm going to leave my lotus this year and hope it comes back. When I do divide it, I will try to offer up tubers here.
I saw some neat youtube videos about lotus tubers - how to plant / how to divide. They are apparently a bit fragile, especially at certain points in the growing season. I'm leaving mine alone this year, too - but the videos will be really useful when the time comes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, the leading growing tip of a lotus runner is very delicate, tap it and the runner is a gonner.

This photo of an edible lotus runner shows the growing habit of lotus well, the wintered tubers are beginning to put out runners, these can trot six feet a month in the growing season

edible-lotus-tuber1.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am starting lotus seeds again this year. Last year I got them started indoors and moved them to a stock tank with kitty litter. They were doing great- then the deer found them! Out of 50, only 4 made it but I fear they may have frozen this winter. I have 80 more seeds from Michaels crafts. Started 6 this weed in the greenhouse.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Cant wait to see if the ones i grew from seeds survived the winter.
I just dropped the pot to the lower shelf and hoped for it to survive.
They were $.99 seeds from china. Didnt bloom first year but we shall see.

Ask a Question