Do now and what to Do later when spring arrives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok... 1st let me apologize for the long read. ..

I finally got my larger pond (300 gallons) built and filled with my well water yesterday. Now I think I'm at a point where I'm playing a waiting game for warmer consistent weather. Please correct any of my assumptions on what needs to happen next or let me know of things I can do now to help move the pond along.

Little info on new pond spec:

Location Central Indiana
300 gallons
It's 25 inches deep (all one depth) and roughly 5.5ft and by 6ft
625 gallon pump
Veggie filter (40 gallon)
Will house about 4 gold fish and about 10 rosie reds (currently over wintered in garage)
Plan to have at least 6 plants in pond. All dependent on local availability. Currently have 2 a blue pickerl and blue rush grass.

Current what I have done:
- Moved pickerl and rush grass to new pond.
- put pump in to circulate water.

That's all I have done due to it still being Feb and the fear of winter to still raise its ugly head.

My plan for later (Guessing/hoping April)
- Get plants for veggie filter and hook it to the pond.
- start to find plants for inside the pond.
- once I have confirmed the new pond has cycled and temps are close to fish in garage I plan to move the fish. Should I drain 100 gallons of the new pond and fill with the current 100 gallon water in garage? A lot of work but might make their transition easier.

So does that sound like the correct approach. Feel silly playing the waiting game but with the possibility of a couple more months of cold weather thought it be best to not rush things and be patient.

Anything I should know or do now to aide along my new ponds eco system?

Many thanks, Nanner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Pond will not 'cycle' without fish unless you perform a 'fishless' cycle with Ammonia.

You are absolutely correct...totally spaced it in my post. I guess that is where I'm confused with these cold nights and possible cold days still a head should I try to cycle it now...will have to monitor water temps but afraid anything gained in cycling will get wiped out if we get a week cold stretch. Then again I have to start it sometime. Should I add a few of the rosie reds to start the process?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It was around 54 on Sunday but haven't seen if it has warmed up any yesterday. Had a long day at the office. Had a high air temp yesterday around 70 so it might have bumped a little with the night not getting as cold. From what I have read the growth process really slows down in the 50s and starts to die mid 40s. So that's where I'm confused ...don't know what the weather will do but can only imagine we will have some realy cold days/nights ahead. Guess best practice to go on the current parameters?

Thanks for all the help...especially when some of these seem to be basic stuff.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is not far from my septic tank and is now at 63 degrees and sun does not hurt either .Looks like the whole country will be in for the warmer weather for the rest of the week .Our fish are confused ,pond water is confused and it is like a roller coaster .I hope we don't get a surprise storm but I have the feeling we will get one .Bugs are out full force .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What is the current water temperature of your pond?

Finally got home at a decent hour I was able to check the water . The water temp is 61 degrees. Still a bit cloudy from the fill on Sunday.

The tank in the garage with the fish overwintering is 70 degrees fish are active biofilter must be keeping up did a test again tonight ammonia is zero nitrites zero and nitrates low... have numerous fake plants and a couple large aquarium stones long as a piece of driftwood in the garage stock tank. Do you think it would be a good ideal to move some of these items to the new pond with a few of the rosie reds to kick off the cycling of the pond? Also plan to hook up the veggie filter this week and maybe move the rush grass to it till I can get some plants in season. I'M thinking this is the best approach with the warm weather and water temps in the extended forecast. A brief cold snap on Sat then back warm next week.

So yay or nay on that approach ???

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just took a look at the extended forecast for your area. If it can be trusted there is apparently no danger of any further ice-overs or extended periods of freezing temps.
In light of that, I would say that your idea is great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks Meyer for the feedback and guidance. Had to chuckle when you say can the forecast be trusted. Can the weather ever be trusted ??? LOL but I know I know what you meant...thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks like there's one frosty spell yet to swing by
GFS-025deg_ARC-LEA_T2_5-day Northern Hemisphere.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Got the veggie filter going today. ..had a small leak that I got stopped just now need to paint when warmer drier weather. Also got the top soil topped off and the sandstone decoration in today. Just need warmer weather, plant shopping, add the fish and a little more rock.

A few photos....

20170224_171846.jpg 20170224_171817.jpg 20170224_171749.jpg 20170224_171806.jpg

Ask a Question