DO PONDS OVERFLOW WHEN IT RAINS.....?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes, ponds overflow in heavy rain. I set mine unlevel purposefully to deal with this. It has a high side and a low side. The low side passes out to a gravel area with a mild slope away from the pond. The hostas love the extra water at that location. Here's a couple pics. In the first one you can see the high side on the left and the low side on the right. On the second pic, you're looking over the pond across to the low side and the gravel overflow area.
20230803_113050.jpg20230803_113108.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just so everyone knows….. Wow, this was a long time ago :eek: — but I did come up with a solution for an “overflow,” and it worked well. I honestly don’t recall exactly what I did. We can occasionally get some DOWNPOURS…..like inches per minute. Have moved since then, and still between builds:cry:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put in one corner of my pond an overflow pipe with one of those plastic drain grates on it .The grate is green so I can see if it is clogged with anything and the holes are small so small fish are not in danger of vgetting sucked in and where it comes out the back of the pond I have bucket there to catch any bthing that comes out .Thats why I like my partially above ground pond .
Do you happen to have a picture? I need to make one for my little 40 gallon stock tank pond. I set it up recently and just started adding water so I can getting it cycling by the time the plants arrive and today it rained SOO MUCH it’s almost overflowing already

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
@MelP14
@sissy comes on here once in awhile. Not sure if she ever posted a photo of her setup thing on what you need. You can do a search of all her posts but that would be a lot to look through. Hope she will see this message and be of help. When you want someone who is a member here to see your post you do like I just did at the start of this post by putting the @ sign before the member's name and that sends a message to their mail so they see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For anyone using a skimmer box setup, I installed a small dry well that's fed by a line coming out the back of the box. The hole I drilled in the box is about an inch or so above the normal water level and I added a bulkhead, then some tubing that runs to an empty five-gallon plastic kitty litter container that's buried a short distance from the pond. Before burying it, I drilled a bunch of holes in the container, wrapped it in landscaping fabric, and put some gravel around it. I think it works... but can't say for sure. ;)

Ask a Question