Are there any submersible lights that won't leak?

rrr

Reaction score
Every submersible pond spotlight I have used over the years leaks water and dies within a couple years. Is this typical? I'm hesitant to pay more for a light hoping they won't leak. Does price generally indicate quality? Reviews usually don't help because it takes a couple years for them to die, and folks don't usually write reviews on years old purchases....
Can anyone recommend a light that won't leak and die within, say, 5 years or more?
Looking for 12v, led lights.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180309_094851.jpg

I cant speak from experience on what i plan to use but maybe someone else has and can chime in. I am going to be trying to extremes of the cost factor, on the inexpensive side I will use these 12 v 10 w lights I found online and got 5 of them for 5.00 and on the other end of the cost spectrum I plan to use a couple American Products Co. 12v 100w Submersible pool lights

Attachments

• 20180309_094844.jpg
    20180309_094844.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 20180309_095008.jpg
    20180309_095008.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20180309_095034.jpg
    20180309_095034.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 233

rrr

Reaction score
View attachment 108701
I cant speak from experience on what i plan to use but maybe someone else has and can chime in. I am going to be trying to extremes of the cost factor, on the inexpensive side I will use these 12 v 10 w lights I found online and got 5 of them for 5.00 and on the other end of the cost spectrum I plan to use a couple American Products Co. 12v 100w Submersible pool lights

Please let us know how these work out. $1 each for a submersible light? wow,.. that is cheap.
I've been thinking about waterproof (IP68 rated) led tape lights, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...er-LED-Rope-Lights-SMD-5050-RGB-/292104532037
I was even thinking about putting them inside of a clear polyvinyl tube to guarantee that no water even touches the tape, to get a very long life (>5yrs?). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Tubing-Clear-Flexible-Length/dp/B001D9V1X2
I'm hoping for more comments from experienced folks. This must be a common problem....
thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We paid A LOT for our submersible lights and it's my one pond regret - they cracked the first year they were in the pond. However I won't say the brand because I don't believe it was specifically their fault. The lights should have been installed deeper, so they wouldn't be at the level that would freeze. Don't ask me why we didn't figure that out! And I guess I could blame the manufacturer, as they could have mentioned it in the installation instructions! But when we do replace them, we will choose something more moderately priced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please let us know how these work out. $1 each for a submersible light? wow,.. that is cheap.
I've been thinking about waterproof (IP68 rated) led tape lights, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...er-LED-Rope-Lights-SMD-5050-RGB-/292104532037
I was even thinking about putting them inside of a clear polyvinyl tube to guarantee that no water even touches the tape, to get a very long life (>5yrs?). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Tubing-Clear-Flexible-Length/dp/B001D9V1X2
I'm hoping for more comments from experienced folks. This must be a common problem....
thanks
I certainly will. Slight typo on my part though 5.00 was for the cheap ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We paid A LOT for our submersible lights and it's my one pond regret - they cracked the first year they were in the pond. However I won't say the brand because I don't believe it was specifically their fault. The lights should have been installed deeper, so they wouldn't be at the level that would freeze. Don't ask me why we didn't figure that out! And I guess I could blame the manufacturer, as they could have mentioned it in the installation instructions! But when we do replace them, we will choose something more moderately priced.

So glad you mentioned that I had not yet 100% planned to place mine below the frost line. Now I will for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So glad you mentioned that I had not yet 100% planned to place mine below the frost line. Now I will for sure.

It's one of those "duh" moments when you think of COURSE the lens cracked... it froze. Ugh. And once it cracks the water flows in and that's the end of that. The housing itself is made of brass; the lens is plastic.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mrsclem, thinking about getting those lights, good to know they have lasted 3 years.

3 to 4 years is about the most I have gotten out of my pond lights. I like them for my front pond to light up the Japanese maple tree on the island in the middle of the pond and the waterfall. The ones I had crapped out after 2 years last summer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I quit lighting my pond. Before the heron started visiting and I had to net the pond I had pond lights. Well found out a owl was enjoying the easy to see fish and fishing. So they get a nice black night.

Now I have the pond netted all of the time, but still leaving it dark at night. Herons fly over almost every day.

rrr

Reaction score
I quit lighting my pond. Before the heron started visiting and I had to net the pond I had pond lights. Well found out a owl was enjoying the easy to see fish and fishing. So they get a nice black night.

Now I have the pond netted all of the time, but still leaving it dark at night. Herons fly over almost every day.
thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Being a builder I do believe you get what you pay for within reason, and seeing as these lights will be buried in stone. I didn't go cheap, I went for 6 of the Aquascape 1 watt led all I can say thus far is one light was defective when I received it and I notified the seller and Aquascapes stood by there product and are shipping out a replacement.

rrr

Reaction score
Being a builder I do believe you get what you pay for within reason, and seeing as these lights will be buried in stone. I didn't go cheap, I went for 6 of the Aquascape 1 watt led all I can say thus far is one light was defective when I received it and I notified the seller and Aquascapes stood by there product and are shipping out a replacement.
Thanks for the reply. Are these the lights your are referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/Aquascape-Su...00GMQ9HDC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
The reviews on the Amazon site for these lights range form "very bad" to "great" (like usual). Have you had any problems with these leaking? How long have they been in your pond? Thanks again!

Ask a Question