Do you have a greenhouse?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're not using it for winter, you probably don't need a cement block foundation either. Just some pressure treated wood on a level bed of gravel.
Maybe use some pressure treated 6x6's (treated for below grade use).

I'll find my greenhouse pictures if you're interested.
While I read about insulation of the foundation for winter growing, I never did it when I built my greenhouse....and, now I am kicking myself for it! I do plan to plant winter crops of spinach, lettuce and onions this year. I hope!

To prepare, I have insulated the north and east walls with Reflectix insulation. It should reflect 95% of the greenhouse heat:
View attachment 105088

and I am building 2 raised beds that I will cover with Thermal Anti-Condensate Greenhouse Film, 6mil....for a double barrier...which should bring me 3 zones higher than my zone.
View attachment 105089

I also have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that our wash/lotion ingredients come in that I will paint with a plastic adhesive paint and fill with water in addition to an oil filled heater for colder nights.

But, this being the busy season for our home biz, I am so far behind. I should have had the 2 raised gardens filled with soil and planted already...but, I just haven't been able to get to it.
My wife wants a greenhouse like yours now, MoonShadows.
It would be great for growing without worrying about bringing pests inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I used pea gravel for a floor in mine, but first, shaped the ground to all slope to one area, gently. At that point I dug a large hole, put a stout plastic barrel in with holes drilled all over for drainage. I laid heavy weed barrier over it all, then placed my gravel. That way if I spill or over fill a pot, there's a place for the water to drain out. I can even wash down areas with the hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was deciding which greenhouse I wanted when we where hit with a snowy winter. All winter was snow storm after snow storm. Everyday buildings were collapsing from weight of snow on roofs. I did not think a normal greenhouse can handle weight so went with a solar shed from home depot. Much stronger I did insulate and one day will add heat. will find photo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you're not using it for winter, you probably don't need a cement block foundation either. Just some pressure treated wood on a level bed of gravel.

It's good news that I don't need all that! Of course I'm interested in pics of your greenhouse!

we're thinking maybe 12'x16' anchored down by treated 4"x4" cemented into the ground, what you guys think about that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was deciding which greenhouse I wanted when we where hit with a snowy winter. All winter was snow storm after snow storm. Everyday buildings were collapsing from weight of snow on roofs. I did not think a normal greenhouse can handle weight so went with a solar shed from home depot. Much stronger I did insulate and one day will add heat. will find photo
Never heard of a solar shed, would love pics please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
upload_2017-10-10_19-24-48.png

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

My greenhouse has 6 x 6 made from Tamarac wood on a bed of gravel as it's foundation.

Your wife has very good taste, Mitch. :rolleyes:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

One nice aspect of our greenhouse is the 45 degree sloped roof. The snow slides right off. Nice looking solar shed @Nyboy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's good news that I don't need all that! Of course I'm interested in pics of your greenhouse!

we're thinking maybe 12'x16' anchored down by treated 4"x4" cemented into the ground, what you guys think about that?

I would go with 6x6 pressure treated, with 1/2" rebar every 3 feet, 3 foot lengths, depending on your soil conditions. If you have really hard or rocky soil, maybe go with 30 inch length rebar.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

be careful about cementing the 4 x 4's into the ground....they will deteriorate faster.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would go with 6x6 pressure treated, with 1/2" rebar every 3 feet, 3 foot lengths, depending on your soil conditions. If you have really hard or rocky soil, maybe go with 30 inch length rebar.

That's exactly what I did. 30" rebar on an angle through the 6 x 6's on a thick bed of screenings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's exactly what I did. 30" rebar on an angle through the 6 x 6's on a thick bed of screenings.
Looks like we're doing that too!

We're waiting to get a hold of the city to find out about regulations, and permits. Them people are always either out of the office, or too busy to take a call, I wish they'd put more info on their website, cause we went through this same struggle when we call to put up the coop

Ask a Question