Do you have a greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In really cold weather, the humidity will cause the doors to ice up and freeze shut.

@MitchM Probably would just cost more in electric but if you put a fan passing over the door it will stop condensation....I have a sliding door on one end of mine. It gets dripping water in the bottom runner then freezes. That is no fun so we keep a fan on it for a cure.

I have to get into the greenhouse to add wood pellets once a day. The greenhouse sets about 100 feet from our french doors of our house. If the pellet stove fails, the monitor furnace takes over automatically if the temp goes below a certain point. I also get a phone call if that happens notifying me...

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I was going to try and grow salad greens all winter in my greenhouse, but I've been so busy with our business the past month, I'm so far behind in winterizing my greenhouse that I doubt I'll get it done, but let me show you what I was up to....

The biggest problem with my greenhouse is that I did not insulate the floor (ground) before I built it. There was no way I could dig down vertically to the frost line since it sits on an old shale rock shelf. I had a hard enough time digging out the 10" or so foundation which I filled with screenings. I was contemplating putting in a Swedish Skirt, but never did it. (See this link if you are not familiar with what a Swedish Skirt is...2nd drawing on the page... http://www.ceresgs.com/solar-greenhouse-basics-insulating-your-foundation/)

So what I decided to do was create a greenhouse within a greenhouse...which would bring my growing area to about a Zone 8b winter environment.

First, I covered the North and part of the East walls with Reflectix Insulation which reflects back up to 95% of heat. That door opening is one of two, so I also planned to close it and insulate it.
034-Sep_14.jpg

I bought 2 cedar raised beds (3' x 6' x 10.5") from Home Depot. It was actually cheaper to buy them with the sides pre-assembled than it was to buy the raw cedar. All I had to do was screw the sides together, and I put corner braces on for extra corner strength. I planned to raise them up off the cold ground, so I ran 2x4's and was going to cut the old redwood slats from my greenhouse benches to cover the bottom.
032-Sep_14.jpg

033-Sep_14.jpg

Then I set up concrete block legs to raise them up off the floor.
035-Sep_19.jpg

Here is one of the beds in place without the bottom put in.
036-Sep_19.jpg

Then, I built a frame that was going to be covered in 6 mil thermal anti-condensate greenhouse film with a top on hinges...in other words, a large cold frame. Both these boxes would then be filled with "Mel's Mix".,.. 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 Perlite and 1/3 compost. The cold frames would give me a 2nd level of winter insulation.
037-Sep_19.jpg

These pics were taken about a month ago, and that is the last time I have had a chance to work out there. The other box is still on the porch where I put it together along with 3 - 25lb bags of perlite and a couple of bales of peat moss out in the driveway.

At the end of each summer, I try to line up a few Fall projects, somehow forgetting that Mid Sept/mid Nov are the busiest months for our business, and this season are the busiest ever. A good problem to have though.

Anyway, I probably won't get the project finished for this Fall, but I can get the side and back walls of the 2 raised gardens covered with the greenhouse film and the boxes filled over the winter and be ready for late winter seed starting. The frame tops will only be used in the late Fall/Winter months, and I will remove, or keep them completely raised, for Spring growing. Opposite these two raised gardens, I can erect 16' x 2' shelving to supplement Spring planting, and still have a 2 1/2' walkway in between. (The Spring shelving will be removed for a bank of 5 gallon black buckets filled with water to serve as heat sinks over the winter.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Crazy idea my husband had...what if we build the pond half inside the greenhouse, and half outside?
Any comment about pros and cons will be appreciated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Crazy idea my husband had...what if we build the pond half inside the greenhouse, and half outside?
Any comment about pros and cons will be appreciated

That would be great. Just make sure you design the greenhouse to allow for cross ventilation so you can control humidity.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This was a very productive weekend!

I finished the framing of my cold frames in my greenhouse.
038-Oct_22.jpg

Got the "floors" down which are the old slats from my greenhouse benches.
039-Oct_22.jpg

And, covered the floors with weed block...not for weeds, but to keep all the soil inside.
040-Oct_22.jpg

If all goes according to plan.....tomorrow I will fill them with Mel's Mix (1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 compost. I want to plant scallions, spinach & salad mixes. Hope I'm not too late. But, if I am....I'll be ready for a late winter planting.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen lots of prefab kits that are also insulated and not bad prices .Lots of them shown on youtube

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Today was another productive day. I dug about 50 gallons of black gold compost from one of my compost piles (2 garbage cans full). I mixed half of it with a bale of peat moss and 25 lbs of vermiculite and filled one of the 2 cold frames in my greenhouse. I moved the rest of my mixture into the greenhouse because it is going to rain tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the 2nd cold frame filled tomorrow.

041-oct_23.jpg

042-Oct_23.jpg

043-Oct_23.jpg

044-Oct_23.jpg

Ask a Question