Do you have a greenhouse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gemma, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Nice! (y)

MoonShadows, Oct 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Gemma

Looks great!
    I try to save most of my plants (Cannas, Taro, Dahlias, Geraniums....) but I bring them in the basement.
    I have been setting up a greenhouse on my deck from March to June, I use a portable heater, I don't even want to know what it would cost me to heat a greenhouse through the winter
    This is my current greenhouse that I put up and take down every year IMG-20160522-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20160522-WA0008.jpeg IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpg

Attached Files:

Gemma, Oct 14, 2017
    sissy, Nyboy, MitchM and 2 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

waretrop

@Gemma That's how mine looks by November. @MitchM Wow, Do you grow food in that thing in the winter??? @MoonShadows HI JAM MAN..............

waretrop, Oct 14, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  4. Gemma

MitchM

I can grow food during the winter, but between the cost of proper lighting and heat, it makes more sense just to go to the store.
    We really just use it to keep plants dormant, try some experiments and as a nice bright space to observe winter.
    Some herbs do well during the winter in the greenhouse.
    In really cold weather, the humidity will cause the doors to ice up and freeze shut.

MitchM, Oct 14, 2017
    Nyboy likes this.
  5. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

6. Gemma

waretrop

@MitchM Probably would just cost more in electric but if you put a fan passing over the door it will stop condensation....I have a sliding door on one end of mine. It gets dripping water in the bottom runner then freezes. That is no fun so we keep a fan on it for a cure.

I have to get into the greenhouse to add wood pellets once a day. The greenhouse sets about 100 feet from our french doors of our house. If the pellet stove fails, the monitor furnace takes over automatically if the temp goes below a certain point. I also get a phone call if that happens notifying me...

waretrop, Oct 14, 2017
    MitchM likes this.
  7. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Well, I was going to try and grow salad greens all winter in my greenhouse, but I've been so busy with our business the past month, I'm so far behind in winterizing my greenhouse that I doubt I'll get it done, but let me show you what I was up to....

The biggest problem with my greenhouse is that I did not insulate the floor (ground) before I built it. There was no way I could dig down vertically to the frost line since it sits on an old shale rock shelf. I had a hard enough time digging out the 10" or so foundation which I filled with screenings. I was contemplating putting in a Swedish Skirt, but never did it. (See this link if you are not familiar with what a Swedish Skirt is...2nd drawing on the page... http://www.ceresgs.com/solar-greenhouse-basics-insulating-your-foundation/)

So what I decided to do was create a greenhouse within a greenhouse...which would bring my growing area to about a Zone 8b winter environment.

First, I covered the North and part of the East walls with Reflectix Insulation which reflects back up to 95% of heat. That door opening is one of two, so I also planned to close it and insulate it.
    034-Sep_14.jpg

I bought 2 cedar raised beds (3' x 6' x 10.5") from Home Depot. It was actually cheaper to buy them with the sides pre-assembled than it was to buy the raw cedar. All I had to do was screw the sides together, and I put corner braces on for extra corner strength. I planned to raise them up off the cold ground, so I ran 2x4's and was going to cut the old redwood slats from my greenhouse benches to cover the bottom.
    032-Sep_14.jpg

033-Sep_14.jpg

Then I set up concrete block legs to raise them up off the floor.
    035-Sep_19.jpg

Here is one of the beds in place without the bottom put in.
    036-Sep_19.jpg

Then, I built a frame that was going to be covered in 6 mil thermal anti-condensate greenhouse film with a top on hinges...in other words, a large cold frame. Both these boxes would then be filled with "Mel's Mix".,.. 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 Perlite and 1/3 compost. The cold frames would give me a 2nd level of winter insulation.
    037-Sep_19.jpg

These pics were taken about a month ago, and that is the last time I have had a chance to work out there. The other box is still on the porch where I put it together along with 3 - 25lb bags of perlite and a couple of bales of peat moss out in the driveway.

At the end of each summer, I try to line up a few Fall projects, somehow forgetting that Mid Sept/mid Nov are the busiest months for our business, and this season are the busiest ever. A good problem to have though.

Anyway, I probably won't get the project finished for this Fall, but I can get the side and back walls of the 2 raised gardens covered with the greenhouse film and the boxes filled over the winter and be ready for late winter seed starting. The frame tops will only be used in the late Fall/Winter months, and I will remove, or keep them completely raised, for Spring growing. Opposite these two raised gardens, I can erect 16' x 2' shelving to supplement Spring planting, and still have a 2 1/2' walkway in between. (The Spring shelving will be removed for a bank of 5 gallon black buckets filled with water to serve as heat sinks over the winter.)

MitchM, Gemma and addy1 like this.
  8. Gemma

Lisak1

Greenhouse envy!

Lisak1, Oct 14, 2017
    Gemma and MoonShadows like this.
  9. Gemma

Gemma

Crazy idea my husband had...what if we build the pond half inside the greenhouse, and half outside?
    Any comment about pros and cons will be appreciated

Gemma, Oct 14, 2017
    MitchM and MoonShadows like this.
  10. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@Gemma, Sounds real interesting. I'm looking forward to the feedback from more adept ponder then I.

Gemma likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma

I think I better start a separate thread then

Gemma, Oct 14, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  12. Gemma

MitchM

That would be great. Just make sure you design the greenhouse to allow for cross ventilation so you can control humidity.

MitchM, Oct 15, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  13. Gemma

Gemma

Thanks, I'll have hubby read this!
    BTW, he really liked your greenhouse!

Gemma, Oct 15, 2017
    MoonShadows and MitchM like this.
  14. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

This was a very productive weekend!

I finished the framing of my cold frames in my greenhouse.
    038-Oct_22.jpg

Got the "floors" down which are the old slats from my greenhouse benches.
    039-Oct_22.jpg

And, covered the floors with weed block...not for weeds, but to keep all the soil inside.
    040-Oct_22.jpg

If all goes according to plan.....tomorrow I will fill them with Mel's Mix (1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 compost. I want to plant scallions, spinach & salad mixes. Hope I'm not too late. But, if I am....I'll be ready for a late winter planting.

MoonShadows, Oct 22, 2017
    sissy, addy1, Nyboy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma

Gemma, Oct 22, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  16. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Thanks @Gemma. Might be a bit late to plant a late Fall/Winter crop, though. But, at least we'll be ready for the very, very early Spring.

MoonShadows, Oct 22, 2017
    Gemma and Nyboy like this.
  17. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice job!

addy1, Oct 22, 2017
  18. Gemma

sissy sissy

I have seen lots of prefab kits that are also insulated and not bad prices .Lots of them shown on youtube

sissy, Oct 23, 2017
  19. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Today was another productive day. I dug about 50 gallons of black gold compost from one of my compost piles (2 garbage cans full). I mixed half of it with a bale of peat moss and 25 lbs of vermiculite and filled one of the 2 cold frames in my greenhouse. I moved the rest of my mixture into the greenhouse because it is going to rain tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the 2nd cold frame filled tomorrow.

041-oct_23.jpg

042-Oct_23.jpg

043-Oct_23.jpg

044-Oct_23.jpg

MoonShadows, Oct 23, 2017
  20. Gemma

sissy sissy

Great you built them high up as it makes it so much easier

sissy, Oct 24, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question