MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When we built our small warehouse for our home biz, I understood about contacting the township and getting the necessary permits with the requisite fees. When we built our chicken coop, I couldn't believe the township required a permit with a fee! I have noticed so many projects on properties within our township without the necessary paperwork being posted as is required that when we decided to erect our greenhouse, I did it without contacting the township. That was two years ago, and no one has said "boo". The whole permit thing is nothing but a money-maker for our township.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When we built our small warehouse for our home biz, I understood about contacting the township and getting the necessary permits with the requisite fees. When we built our chicken coop, I couldn't believe the township required a permit with a fee! I have noticed so many projects on properties within our township without the necessary paperwork being posted as is required that when we decided to erect our greenhouse, I did it without contacting the township. That was two years ago, and no one has said "boo". The whole permit thing is nothing but a money-maker for our township.
Permits should be to insure proper code, but after two days of trying to contact city hall, I'm all for going ahead without going throw the proper channels!
Heck I think we're the only people in my town, that have a license for their dogs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
....Of course I'm interested in pics of your greenhouse!

Ok.:)

ICF foundation

DSCN6776.jpg

Filling the ICF's

DSCN6900.jpg

Getting the floor prepped

DSCN8386.jpg

Heated floor is in

DSCN9602.jpg

Building the outside deck up to the floor

DSCN9827.jpg

Deck is done

DSCN4749.jpg

Putting in the wood stove

DSCN0372.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

DSCN0188.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN9827.jpg
    DSCN9827.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh wow @MitchM you weren't kidding when you built yours, you went all out!
It looks so awesome!!!
smbravo.gif

I'm gonna have to show it to my husband, even though he might experience a few moments of pure fear when he sees it, thinking I want the same!
smlaughing4.gif

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a all glass greenhouse bout 15 X 26. I am in North East Pa so I heat to 65 degrees in the winter. I have tropical plants and african violets in there...
greenhouse4.jpg

greenhouse5.jpg

It gets full in winter with all the flowers we try to keep alive for the winters. We heat with a pellet stove and a propane monitor heater as a back up. Plus we have a generator just for the greenhouse. We keep a shade cloth over it in early summer and we also put 2 layers of plastic over it in the winter to hold in the heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a all glass greenhouse bout 15 X 26. I am in North East Pa so I heat to 65 degrees in the winter. I have tropical plants and african violets in there...
View attachment 105192
View attachment 105193

It gets full in winter with all the flowers we try to keep alive for the winters. We heat with a pellet stove and a propane monitor heater as a back up. Plus we have a generator just for the greenhouse. We keep a shade cloth over it in early summer and we also put 2 layers of plastic over it in the winter to hold in the heat.
Looks great!
I try to save most of my plants (Cannas, Taro, Dahlias, Geraniums....) but I bring them in the basement.
I have been setting up a greenhouse on my deck from March to June, I use a portable heater, I don't even want to know what it would cost me to heat a greenhouse through the winter
This is my current greenhouse that I put up and take down every year
IMG-20160522-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20160522-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@Gemma That's how mine looks by November. @MitchM Wow, Do you grow food in that thing in the winter??? @MoonShadows HI JAM MAN..............

I can grow food during the winter, but between the cost of proper lighting and heat, it makes more sense just to go to the store.
We really just use it to keep plants dormant, try some experiments and as a nice bright space to observe winter.
Some herbs do well during the winter in the greenhouse.
In really cold weather, the humidity will cause the doors to ice up and freeze shut.

Ask a Question