Does anyone use liquid Algacide in a pond with fish and plants?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I never had to use any of that or UV light, I only decor my pond water and run ponds year round. Algae not a problem in my pond as it is well balanced with large sedges and lots of mature plants. Right now after the -35 Celsius weather I have large bunch of hornwort growing like crazy. Hornwort lives flowing water but you have to have special filter so it won't get stuck in filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all
I'm a new pond owner and when I had my pond built the builder gave me a bunch of liquids to put in the water as a maintenance plan. One was GreenClean Liquid Algaecide. I have string algae in my stream and the big rocks down my waterfall are getting greener and greener by the day. Rocks in the pond are getting covered with mat algae. I have Koi and plants in the pond so I'm hesitant to use this stuff. Builder said if you do maintenance doses every week it wont hurt the fish or plants and will keep the algae in check. Anyone used this stuff?
Thanks
Ove used Algea Fix for years with no problems. I follow the dosage and dont need to use it as often as they say. I use water lettuce to keep the water clear. Its cheap, prolific and effective. It does have to be thinned and disposed of because it shouldnt enter natural water ways. I let it cover about half my ponds.
Ive never gotten into potted plants and dont have skimmers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all
I'm a new pond owner and when I had my pond built the builder gave me a bunch of liquids to put in the water as a maintenance plan. One was GreenClean Liquid Algaecide. I have string algae in my stream and the big rocks down my waterfall are getting greener and greener by the day. Rocks in the pond are getting covered with mat algae. I have Koi and plants in the pond so I'm hesitant to use this stuff. Builder said if you do maintenance doses every week it wont hurt the fish or plants and will keep the algae in check. Anyone used this stuff?
Thanks
Yes. I have used Algae D-Solv with great results. It will not hurt fish or plants. Make sure you are dosing properly. That is the key.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you've had to use it more than once, then it didn't "work". A pond that continues to grow algae needs to be addressed in a way other than continuing to kill the algae.
Right, that’s why you do a ‘maintenance’ dose to keep it under control. Algae will continue to grow under the right conditions, and everyone doesn’t want to invest in a UV. For me, I noticed after several treatments of D-Solv over a few weeks, my algae has disappeared and I no longer have to treat the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Right, that’s why you do a ‘maintenance’ dose to keep it under control. Algae will continue to grow under the right conditions, and everyone doesn’t want to invest in a UV. For me, I noticed after several treatments of D-Solv over a few weeks, my algae has disappeared and I no longer have to treat the pond.
Keeping your ammonia levels under control will help, as well — no chemicals or UV needed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me neither, none of those! Algae comes and goes w/me when I just leave the water alone and don't overfeed or do big water additions. Only top off the pond when needed.

Ask a Question