Does the electric in cables attract rats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have small pond and I want to run a filter 24/7. I have a few sticklebacks in a 700L pond. However my wife will not have it on over night as an electrician said the hum of the electric attracts rats, and she has a phobia. Has anyone heard this too ? Experienced this issue?
Thanks for any help/ advice.
BrawnC

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Not that I’ve ever heard of. We’ve had one pond running for 6 years, and currently have power running to 2 stock tanks for the past 2 years. We have occasionally had a rat or two, but in no way would I say that they were “attracted” to anything other than bird seed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,thank you for the welcome.
Thank you, too , for the comments . Maybe I can calm her fears with your answers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, that's a new one for me. In other words, NOPE! Never heard of rats being attracted to pond electricity. I mean, a constant water source is a good attractant for wildlife, but not to the point of only attracting vermin.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593733415544.gif
@BrawnC
Have had my pump running 24/7 for over 15 yrs and I've never heard of rats being attracted to electric hum. If that was the case we would all have to get rid of all our freezers or anything else that hummed in our homes/garages/shops etc. Get a cat,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm a retired union electrician who worked my whole career (42 years) in New York City and I've never heard that! And believe me, there are plenty of rats in that city, some as big as cats!
So, tell your wife not to worry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for your feedback. It’s great to get your opinions. Im sure the fish would thank you too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have surplus’s cats if your wife needs reassurance, I’ll gladly send you a few!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Even without the rats being attracted by the electrical stuff, you might want to consider running your wires through conduit and burying them in a little trench. It avoids any trouble you could have from exposed wiring and really tidies up the area. In my case, the job wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did it!
IMG_3813.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One of the reasons I'm very glad we did this is that we've had squirrels chew on the wires of our Christmas lights. Darn rodents just like to chew.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They also make electrical wire specifically to be buried w/o conduit. Use conduit to get it to depth and back up but not for the run. I did it this way because I was concerned about water getting in the conduit. I did run pvc alongside it with air tubing so I could use a simple and inexpensive air pump opposed to something rated for outdoor use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I built a little wooden "house" to protect my air pump from the weather. It probably took me a half an hour to build out of scrap wood I had laying around. The little "house" sits right by the pond.
When running your electric, conduit is the best choice. It allows you to pull whatever wire you'll need, including future needs, as long as it's large enough. If PVC conduit is allowed where you live, it's easy to work with and quite inexpensive. You pull in individual wires of the size and amount you need. Most of us would need 3/4" conduit at minimum. Don't bother with 1/2"...it's just too small and the cost difference is so little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do know that back in the early 80s they did use a insulation around fiberoptic lines. And the rats would chew there way through that. if your using an old electrical cord if may be possible.

Ask a Question