Does this weed(?) need removing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - pond newbie here. Got a load of this light green stuff growing in my pond (see photo - light green stuff under the surface) - my natural reaction is to pull it all out, however, i'm unclear whether it's good or bad - e.g. is it an oxygenator or do fish lay eggs in it?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG20230522150731.jpg
    IMG20230522150731.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 33

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It helps with excess nutrients, unless excessive I would leave it alone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every pond with life will have some somewhere it's just a matter of how much and if it's choking out other more desirable plants (in our eyes) that is a form of algae a dinner for cocapods, as well as being a nursery. If you don't have a good deal of plants or it's late fall winter or early spring I'd leave it as not much else is growing at that point. Mid spring summer it's up to you. But I only pull it if it gets out of control.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every pond with life will have some somewhere it's just a matter of how much and if it's choking out other more desirable plants (in our eyes) that is a form of algae a dinner for cocapods, as well as being a nursery. If you don't have a good deal of plants or it's late fall winter or early spring I'd leave it as not much else is growing at that point. Mid spring summer it's up to you. But I only pull it if it gets out of control.
nice one - thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
FrogHiThere.gif
and welcome @Rusholme Ruffian
If it bugs you you can take a clean toilet brush and swirl the algae around it and pull it out.
Sedge plants are good for sucking up extra nutrients in your pond.

That's sedge over on the left towards the back w/the leaves hanging downwards. I like Parrots Feather and Mare's Tail also. Lots here have Water Lilies also but I took mine out due to them being too hard to get the pots out to divide them every year or so. I did put one pot of water lilies in my small frog pond.

That's Mare's tail in the front on the left that I dug out of a ditch while camping up north.

IMG_9448.JPG

There are all kinds of sedge's to choose from:

IMG_8592.JPG

Here's Parrots Feather which is so darn pretty IMO

IMG_9774.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks j.w - main concern about pulling it out is if there is stuff living in there, or the fish have laid eggs in it!

Ask a Question