Don't make my mistake

Reaction score
Left the hose in too long to top off the pond and lost all my fish. Just a reminder to you guys and don't make a mistake like I did. Happy ponding!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to hear about your fish okiee!! It's sad. One of my koi has taught himself a trick to get noticed when I feed them, he lifts himself about 1/3 of his body out of the water vertically, he is a hoot!! They do have their own personalities. I've done the same thing, didn't lose the fish, just overflowed hundreds of gallons of water into the yard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've done that myself but
I'm lucky my water doesn't have chlorine in it.
Buy a timer and put on the faucet.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
more than a few of us have done such things...ive even done it in my basement pond !! live and learn,i guess...but...hopefully from the mistakes of others!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats the only man made mistake i haven't made ponding ...but it could happen next week
sorry about your fish

Reaction score
Thanks they where 3 years old which is 100 in fish years lol. Im sure I scared the neighbors when I screamed! Lesson learned.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish, get a timer like drdave mentions. You can get one that will just run for 30 minutes at a time for pretty cheap. Works great, I use to water our plants since we are on a well and don't want to forget about the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've always wondered if goldfish are just less sensitive to the chlorine, or what? I have had times where I ended up replacing 50% of my pond water, and I have never used any chemicals in my pond. I watch the fish afterwards, but have seen no sign of gasping at the surface, they just keep going like nothing has changed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Shdwdrgn, The chlorine diminishes the ability of their gills to function properly. It may be something you don't see right away, but it definitely hurts them over time.

Ask a Question