I don't know what the babies are

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond with a couple large koi and then fancy tail goldfish and just regular goldfish. They spawned and one looks like a shubunkin but i,have no shubunkin. Would regular goldfish produce the calico coloring ? It's been that color since it was visible swimming in my pond.

Attachments

• 20170825_134153.jpg
    20170825_134153.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 20170825_135446.jpg
    20170825_135446.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 431
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Koi will have little barbs or whiskers near mouth much like a catfish. First pic suggest a comet or shubunkin on left right is most likely a goldfish. so based on what you have in the pond you have a hybrid or 2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. It moves fast but I haven't seen any barbells. Since I have no shubunkins or comets ... can regular goldfish produce one that looks like the one on the left?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. It moves fast but I haven't seen any barbells. Since I have no shubunkins or comets ... can regular goldfish produce one that looks like the one on the left?

I can not properly answer that question I will leave that to others.

I hope you don't have any friends or family who thought they be nice or whatever just swing buy and drop you off a new surprise. If anyone did that to me i'd flip out worse then any one has seen

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had koi babies that don't look anything like their parents. With cross breeding , you may get any color patterns from either parent or something totally different.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one of my babies and the barbels were hard to see but they were there after closer inspection
101_1636.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has grown ALOT since we first spotted them. All of the goldfish have slowly changed colors. This one hasn't changed. The mouth also looks a bit different. I go put and watch them daily ... I'll try paying more attention if I can spot any barbels. We have about 6 babies that survived and all the others are very obvious goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First photo of one of the goldfish. went from black, to solid orange, and now getting white on its belly.

Second pic is the colorful baby close up. Looks as tho it's mouth points more down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170825-161731.png
    Screenshot_20170825-161731.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot_20170825-161716.png
    Screenshot_20170825-161716.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 389

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can see what looks like barbels by enlarging the pic you put up

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You mentioned that they spawned. Who exactly are "they". If you have a male and female Koi this could very well be a young Koi as the one in the photo appears to be. How long ago was this 'spawn'?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have seen you are very much an expert on here, glad to Have you respond! I really don't know which ones have spawned. I know we for sure have baby goldfish. This one just looks different than the rest.

Also we continue to have some foam in our pond. I don't know if they are continuously spawning and how to stop it. I don't know which ones are to separate.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello! I have seen you are very much an expert on here, glad to Have you respond! I really don't know which ones have spawned. I know we for sure have baby goldfish. This one just looks different than the rest.

Also we continue to have some foam in our pond. I don't know if they are continuously spawning and how to stop it. I don't know which ones are to separate.

Thanks for the compliment, but that may fit into the category of "Fake News" being discussed in another thread.

If temperature are right, Goldfish will spawn approximately every 30 days and even though they (and Koi) eat the eggs, some always manage to escape foraging and hatch. I think that may be the case here. Your two Koi spawned (it only takes two) and this little fellow (or girl) managed to survive. It appears to be several months old which would time it just right with the Spring spawning that Koi are noted for.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
2nd one looks more Koi like with those colours and patterns as opposed to a shubunkin, and as koi are bottom feeders, that would explain the more downward pointing mouth that you see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The first one looks like a fantail .Just look at his tail .But body is longer than a fantail

Ask a Question