DRAINS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
While I did think about that (Marx Bros. reference), no. Our first boxie was named "Speedy" by my son (9 or 10 at the time). So "Zippo" was a combo of the speed AND the Marx Bros. The babies are: TURBO, CHARGER, BABY BOMBER (called him "Baby" forever, then saw a B-52 fly over and decided to add the "Bomber" out of respect for the USAF -- I'm an AF Brat!), MORGAN (after the breed of horse), DRACO (we like dragons), ALPHIE (after a character in a book my son read), CHIEF (similar to Alphie's name), and X-TRA (he hatched on his own in the habitat and just found him in there one day -- all the others I found the eggs that ZIPPO had laid in the habitat and incubated them inside, well, except for CHIEF, who also self-hatched.). Both adults have since escaped, but it's taught me a lot about "escape-proofing!"

It's been such an enjoyable experience having them and designing their habitat! Have a good section of our backyard designated as "turtle habiat." I've designed and landscaped everything with their natural environment in mind. I think they're happy! But, now they are getting old enough that I can tell their genders and it's time to separate them. So in the spring I'll do an add-on for the girls in addittion to building my pond.

Hoping to design the pond so it can be shared, but with some kind of "separation" so that the boys & girls will have their own "pond" area but not have physical contact with one another. Guess I'll post about that later.

Reaction score
Well, it sounds like your pond is going to be a whole family attraction. That is neat! It is a great learning experience for everyonean and an enjoyable experience at that.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, maybe not the whole family, but I wish. The turts have become "Mom's" project as my 2 guys really only care in the sense that it's something I enjoy. But that's not a bad thing. We've warned son, though, that since boxies can live 50+ years, that HE will inherit their care after we're gone! :) But I look at it this way, too: it makes less lawn for them to have to worry about maintaining, and when done right, the habitat is a nice little landscaped area that will be even more enjoyable (for humans) once the pond is done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
had to tell my sons that with the fish so guess most of our children will inherit things I think they did not expect

Ask a Question