DRAINS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tell me about drains, please. What considerations are there for deciding on installing a drain? Can they be installed in any kind of liner? How do you do it; what do you use; do they work on gravity (if so, how do you figure that out -- the grade I guess I mean) or attached to a siphon of some kind??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some are gravity some are drawn by the pump. Any kind of liner can handle a bottom drain if you install it right. Installing a drain depends on you and your pond. I don't have one, maybe twice a summer I net the bottom of my pond, (no koi) and the water tests stay perfect.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have bottom drain either ,if you don't seal it well and have it set level and correctly it may leak .If water gets between your liner and ground you could end up taking the pond apart to resolve the problems .I would never try a bottom drain because I would worry I did it wrong or did not seal it the right way.I guess I feel it is not worth it and just netting the bottom is easy anyway .pool net works the best .

Reaction score
The answers to all of your questions relate to the reason for the drain. For example, if it's connected to a vortex filter or other settling system you want it to be gravity fed so debris doesn't get pulled through the pump first and chopped up. If only used for water changes then water can be pulled directly through a pump. A bottom drain by itself is just a pipe. What it's connected to drives the design.

But in general...

It's probably most common to cut the hole for the drain in the bottom of the pond but that isn't required or even better from a suction standpoint. I prefer to run the pipe on top of the liner, along the bottom, up the side and then cut a hole somewhere close to the surface, but below the surface. Works exactly the same as through the bottom. But if there is a leak the pond will only go down a foot or so and is way easier to fix and there's way less pressure on the connection.

I think the main reason for running the pipe under the liner is to hide it. I use mortared rock in ponds, drain or not, so it's easy to hide the pipe.

The pipe can also go up and over the edge of the pond, no holes at all. But it's a complex set up requiring one large valve and one smaller, needed to prime, whether siphon or pump. I'd provide details if needed. And that's related to grade...the opening of the pipe has to be below the water line in the pond for a siphon to work. All of the pipe has to be below the water line whether siphon or pump unless you get into the complex priming. Beyond that there is no grading issue, the pipe can go up, down, it's all the same. Completely different from say a waste line in a house where grade is very important. The further below the pond surface the pipe outflow is the more pressure, the more flow, you'll get but in most cases that's not a good thing.

The only liner I know of that I would not cut a hole in are preformed ponds. Might be OK if the hole was melted rather than cut. In general I'd say the thinner the liner the more problematic the install, but there's always some solution.

I personally don't find bottom drains very useful just because of the types of ponds I've kept and installed, but I know a lot of people think they create clean ponds somehow. If you had a specific setup in mind that could spur more discussion.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL!! I wish I did have an idea of what I want to do, but honestly, I'm still in the pre-newbie stage: searching for enough info to get me to the newbie stage! I still have to learn the VERY basics before I'll feel comfortable enough to know where I'm going. Mostly I'm picking up on things I've read on this forum or in other articles. It's just enough that I KNOW I need to ask questions. You guys have been a great source of info, so keep it coming!

But it sounds like I could be able to use my pump as a way to drain it? I won't have a large or complicated set-up, but don't want to set myself up for leaks, so might skip the drain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL!! I wish I did have an idea of what I want to do, but honestly, I'm still in the pre-newbie stage: searching for enough info to get me to the newbie stage! I still have to learn the VERY basics before I'll feel comfortable enough to know where I'm going. Mostly I'm picking up on things I've read on this forum or in other articles. It's just enough that I KNOW I need to ask questions. You guys have been a great source of info, so keep it coming!

But it sounds like I could be able to use my pump as a way to drain it? I won't have a large or complicated set-up, but don't want to set myself up for leaks, so might skip the drain.

Drain the pond? yep a pump would do that just have the output go out into the yard.

Reaction score
Mmathis, Try this: Go to Menards and look in their PVC plumbing department. They should have an item called a "lake screen filter". I am using these for my filter system, but I think you could adapt them for drains in your tank. Instead of using a gravity drain, use a water pump and this strainer and suck the water out of the bottom of your pond. If you need to, you can place a filter bag over the strainer to keep out the larger debris. But, don't buy the filter bags at Menards that they sell with the strainers. They are too expensive. Heck, just use a men's tube sock or a ladies nylon stocking. You don't need to be fancy here. All you are doing is sucking water out of the bottom of a pond. No need for frills. You may not even need the sock filter at all, that's just to protect your pump's impeller mechanism. Once you see these lake screen filters first hand, you can tell right off that you can build a device yourself from a section of 2" PVC tubing and a few fittings that will perform the same job. So, my opinion is... Don't cut holes in your pond liner to install a passive drain. I personally think that it is asking for leak trouble and maintenace issues. You can accomplish the task of draining the majority of your pond and pumping the water out and around without that headache and you can do so for a lot cheaper and a lot less less work. I have a hard-wall above ground tank/pond and I am not going to use a bottom drain in that. I am going to use the same comcept of the lake screen filter and run the pipe out the side of the tank. I think that this is the better way to approach the task of setting up the pond. Leave your liner in tact and use other means to drain the pond if and when required. Leave your liner in tact, that is my recommendation (no holes). Gordy

Attachments

• 1019105806.jpg
    1019105806.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 198

SE18

David V
Reaction score
For me, having a drain is critical to the water feature, as mine is concrete and I live in the freeze zone. I'm gonna actually drill a few more in low spots where rain could collect and freeze. They say you can put tennis balls in the water to absorb the ice expansion but I want to be doubly safe. My only concern is if there's an ice storm, followed by rain and another icing over, which could block the outlets, enable water to go over the ice and then refreeze. We'll see how it works. As a last resort, I have a liner for the concrete but would have to do a lot of cutting and gluing as it is curvilinear.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Catfishnut -- I found what you were talking about. Is this something you could use as a "pre-filter?" My pond will be somewhat unique in that it will have depth (for filtration), but a false bottom (@ 2-3") as it's going to be for my box turtles (are not aquatic). These little guys poop in their water and can create QUITE a mess. Since I plan to use some type of bio-filter, will need to stop the majority of the poopy stuff before it gets to the main filter [I guess that's right, huh, guys?]. So guess my next topic/question will be about pre-filters.

Reaction score
Catfishnut -- I found what you were talking about. Is this something you could use as a "pre-filter?" My pond will be somewhat unique in that it will have depth (for filtration), but a false bottom (@ 2-3") as it's going to be for my box turtles (are not aquatic). These little guys poop in their water and can create QUITE a mess. Since I plan to use some type of bio-filter, will need to stop the majority of the poopy stuff before it gets to the main filter [I guess that's right, huh, guys?]. So guess my next topic/question will be about pre-filters.

Mmathis,

Ok, I had a different vision about the wording of turtles + ponds. Putting those two together made me think of aquatic turtles. You have box tortoises. Right? The yellow and brown / black ones with the high carapace or upper shell?

First of all, I have had these as pets before and I don't recall them ever entering the water very often if ever. Not on purpose anyway. These totoises usually stay on the land and they do their "jobs" on the land.

You say that yours are doing their number in the water? What did you do? Take them in the house and show them how to use the indoor facilities? Can they at least flush? LOL!

Don't worry, I am not picking on you, I just thought of it in a humorous light.

I never thought of it before, not with tortoises, but allow me to tell a quick story. When I was a kid, I found a dead sparrow in an old railroad shack, right below the nest. In the nest were three baby sparrows. So young that they did not have feathers and their eyes were not yet open. I took them home in a wooden box made for keeping screws and nuts and bolts and I cared for them. I named them Buono, Brutto and Cattivo (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). I put their nest in the box and kept it as originally set up by the parents. I started feeding them outmeal and other mushy cereals by a straw with the end cut to make almost a spoon shape. They took to it right off.

While I was watching them one day, I found out how they kept their nest clean. I originally thought maybe mama and papa cleaned house. Not so, these little guys with eyes closed would back their butts over the edge of the nest and do their jobs. That's how they maintain their nests!

Okay, hope you liked the story. Back to your tortoises. If they are fouling the water, are they doing their number as my baby sparrows were? Maybe they are keeping their land mass clean and expecting by instinct that the water in the pool will conduct their waste away???

What to do with this situation? Hmm, how deep is your pool of water? Do you simply have the pool for them to drink from? Do they drink from it? I wouldn't expect them to be doing so if they are deficating in it. Most all wild animals have the same instinct that we do in this regard. Just like the baby sparrows not pooping in their nest. You wouldn't want to sleep in your bed if you had an accident there. I don't think the tortoises would want to drink from the water source (pond part) if they were doing their number in it. Would you? Nawh! They are probably getting their water supply from the food that you provide them. Tortoises don't require much water at all. So, I imagine that they are being smart enough to keep their small land area clean by using the waterway for a sewage system. Yes, they are that smart, or maybe just that instinctive.

Okay, now... How much separation do you have between the land and the water? You want the land mass to be very dry. Tortoises live on really dry land, so moisture in the sand and dirt could lead to diseases and fungus problems for them on their plastron and feet. So ensure to keep their land mass very dry.

Back to the pond part of your, let me refer to it now as a terrarium, how we gonna drain or cycle the dirty water out. Or, how we going to flush your tortoises potty?

If you have enough space, I would intall a small volume water pump with a strainer filter on the pump inlet side and place the pump in the lowest part of the pond portion of this "terrarium". Then, I would route the output of the pump to a simple barrel/bucket/tub and strain that for solids with some coarse rocks like river pebbles and pea gravel. This filter box will require you to clean it at specific intervals. Then, the outlet of this box could go directly back to the pond.

Now, if you plan to put fish in the pond, you are probably going to want to do something further, like install a skippy style filter right after the sediment filter to remove the ammonia/ammonium from the water.

Then run your return water back to the pond through a waterfall. The larger your pond area, the less elaborate you will have to be with NO fish, but if you add fish into this mix, the more elaborate it will have to be. Your tortoises only won't need anything elaborate. But, that's just for them. Any fish in the pond will have totally different needs and require you to do some more work to make their home nice, too. A larger pond area, the less critical it will be.

I guess you will just have to decide what you plan on doing overall. Fish or no fish. Then go from there.

Gordy

Reaction score

Oh, forgot to mention... The lake screen filters would serve well as a pre-screen filter. But you may be able to use something much less costly in your case. Maybe even make it yourself out of PVC pipe and drilling holes in it.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, Gordy, loved your story! I fostered some baby birds a few years ago (neighbors's cat had robbed a nest), so know what you mean about their "nest keeping" habits. We still chuckle about it!

But I think you have your reptiles confused. Not to debate the differences between turtles & tortoises, but .... My guys are Eastern 3-toed box turtles, and while they are terrestrial, they do require water for soaking & pooping. And for some reason (that apparently no one has determined), the guys have to occasionally extrude & soak their "guy" parts. These turtles are adapted for forested areas, and require a higher level of ambient humidity, too. They'll (guys & girls) enter the water and just sit & relax, sometimes for 10 minutes. Can't say how much of it they actually drink, but they will submerge their heads, so sanitation is an issue (internal parasites, eye & ear infections, etc.).

Most boxie owners keep a pan or plant saucer filled with water that they empty & refill several times a day. I currently have a 24" plant saucer (sloping sides built up w/Quilcrete) that I have a 1/2" tubing adapted so I can just drain (into the yard, NOT into their habitat) & fill once a day.

Got the idea to add a pond to their habitat (outdoors) when they were hatchlings. For their first 2 winters I kept them inside, in a 50+ gal aquarium and didn't let them brumate (hibernate). I tried the water dish thing, but it was a royal pain keeping up with the little poopers! They were small enough that I adapted one of the cats' DrinkWell fountains (recirculating drinking water) for them -- it was great at first, then the issue of waste volume clogging the filter & impeller (some of that was substrate, too, though). So their 2nd indoor winter I divided the tank with a strip of plexiglass and had about 1/4 filled with water. In order to keep the water clean I got a canister filter. I built the "floor" up as a false bottom so there was actually only 1/2 - 1" of depth for their access (think "plant saucer"), but there was enough total water volume that the filter could do its job.

So that's where I'm coming from. Planning to build my pond in the spring in time for my babies to emerge from brumating. Found an article where a person used this grid stuff to build their false bottom and used a trickle filter. I didn't know what that was, so after some research, ended up on this forum :) Glad I did, too!

Does that help?

Reaction score
Mmathis,

Yes that does help. I was confusing the eastern box turtle with the western box (ornate) tortoise. I attached pix below. Western tortoise on the left, eastern box on the right. The western box tortoise is what I am familiar with and had as pets. They don't usually go in the water, very terrestrial.

You will definitely need a good prefilter system because they will probably stir up the bottom, too.

Gordy

Attachments

• western box tortoise.jpg
    western box tortoise.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 154
  • eastern box turtle.jpg
    eastern box turtle.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 152

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ahh, nice pics! Yes, the one on the right looks EXACTLY like my momma turtle , Zippo (who has since escaped 'cause I wasn't 100% careful in "excape-proofing" the habitat). My babies are all a combination of their genetics, and not a single one looks just like Zippo (yes, turtles ARE fast!). Zippo had that olive color carapace with matching head & legs. Females are usually less colorful. So far all but 2 of my boys have the really bright orange-red spots on their skin, and their faces are black, red (orange), and whitish: faces only a mother (ME!) could love -- 2 are kinda scary, and look like DARTH MAUL from STAR WARS!!

Reaction score
Ahh, nice pics! Yes, the one on the right looks EXACTLY like my momma turtle , Zippo (who has since escaped 'cause I wasn't 100% careful in "excape-proofing" the habitat). My babies are all a combination of their genetics, and not a single one looks just like Zippo (yes, turtles ARE fast!). Zippo had that olive color carapace with matching head & legs. Females are usually less colorful. So far all but 2 of my boys have the really bright orange-red spots on their skin, and their faces are black, red (orange), and whitish: faces only a mother (ME!) could love -- 2 are kinda scary, and look like DARTH MAUL from STAR WARS!!

Ha Ha, "Zippo"! :) I like that. That's a great name for a turtle!

Do you also have one named Harpo? Groucho? Or was Zippo just for the speed reference?

Gordy

Ask a Question