Driftwood in ponds

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
Im wondering if it would be ok to use a tree stump or drift wood in my pond as my fish safe haven..i want my pond to look as natural as possible and im gonna have around 60 blue gill in the pond..this isn't my first pond but this would be my first time using driftwood. Any input would be greatly appreciated - Joe

Reaction score
In there natural state, bluegill seem to love to hang out around an old stump or log --- Why not!:wink: Every pond and stream in nature is not lined with rocks

Reaction score
Its fine. I use it in mine for shelter.

Something to consider tho is that it will most likely waterlog and sink. If your planning to keep it a floater then you might have to get creative with floam or something to keep it up.

Also keep in mind that it will decompose over time too.

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
KennethO said:
Its fine. I use it in mine for shelter.

Something to consider tho is that it will most likely waterlog and sink. If your planning to keep it a floater then you might have to get creative with floam or something to keep it up.

Also keep in mind that it will decompose over time too.

thanks guys..ive been kicking around the idea of making one out of fiberglass but i may just end up picking up some tree stumps with lots of roots hanging off the bottom and keeping it half in and half out of the water both for looks and shelter..ill post up pictures of the pond no and then my proposed plans for the spring

Reaction score
I cannot find the thread, but there was an instance where someone made parts of their waterfall out of newly cut wood. Natural wood not lumber. The tree was high in sap and in a small area like a fish pond the sap poisoned the water and killed everything. In a lake the sap has lots of water to dilute in to. And in that case the water flow was going over the sap and spreading it to the whole pond.
I guess my point is that you do not have a lake. So things are more concentrated. If it is an older stump, then hopefully most of the sap will be out of it from the natural drying.
Just something to think about on this.

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
RSFish1 said:
I cannot find the thread, but there was an instance where someone made parts of their waterfall out of newly cut wood. Natural wood not lumber. The tree was high in sap and in a small area like a fish pond the sap poisoned the water and killed everything. In a lake the sap has lots of water to dilute in to. And in that case the water flow was going over the sap and spreading it to the whole pond.
I guess my point is that you do not have a lake. So things are more concentrated. If it is an older stump, then hopefully most of the sap will be out of it from the natural drying.
Just something to think about on this.

yeah that is something to think about.. After work im going do to the park to see if i can find anything that is along the side of the river with a decent root ball on it to try out..ive also been reading up on driftwood in a planted aquarium and they suggest boiling the wood for a couple hours to get all the tannins out so they dont leach out in the pond or aquarium so i just have to find a tree stup big enough for what im looking for but small enough to fit into a metal 55 gallon drum to boil :dunno:

Reaction score
need to do you homework... the drift wood produces tannins.. there is a whole process people go through to make drift wood viable for a pond or a tank. Its a long process of soaking the wood... seen some do it for a couple of months before its usable. Its not just getting a piece of wood and throwing it in the water

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
need to do you homework... the drift wood produces tannins.. there is a whole process people go through to make drift wood viable for a pond or a tank. Its a long process of soaking the wood... seen some do it for a couple of months before its usable. Its not just getting a piece of wood and throwing it in the water

hence why i posted on here..ive been doing my homework for a couple months now..ive been around ponds and aquariums for a long time but this is my first 1000+ adventure so i want to get it right the first time..i might just end up making so "trees" out of pvc

Reaction score
honestly i think making fake or purchasing fake driftwood/trees is the less complex way to go... its enough you have to worry about water parameters and your fish... then to have to worry about a piece of wood.. ugh...

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
yeah thats what i was thinking so i grabbed some left over pvc here at work and got to fabbin..it doesn't look too much how i want it but its a start..ill post up some pics later on

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jester61288 said:
yeah thats what i was thinking so i grabbed some left over pvc here at work and got to fabbin..it doesn't look too much how i want it but its a start..ill post up some pics later on

Use the pvc with some neat rocks for leaves, branches, bet you can make it look great.

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
thanks addy..im going to the park today to pick up this really neat fallen tree so i can copy it with stryofoam and fiberglass for the pond so i can get the most natural look and i can use it to hide all my plumbing..ive been doing alot of research on aquarium forums and various other sites so ill keep you all posted on the progress..i may also use a pvc tree as well

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
jester61288 said:
thanks addy..im going to the park today to pick up this really neat fallen tree so i can copy it with stryofoam and fiberglass for the pond so i can get the most natural look and i can use it to hide all my plumbing..ive been doing alot of research on aquarium forums and various other sites so ill keep you all posted on the progress..i may also use a pvc tree as well

Neat, At one time I bought, from a fish store, some really neat wood that was supposed to be safe for the tank. Well the fish didn't die, but the water turned brown. So out they came. I left them in the arizona sun for a few years, then put back in the tank and they were then fine.

Do a photo shoot as you build, I would like to do something similar. Have not found any nice old dead trees to use yet.

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Neat, At one time I bought, from a fish store, some really neat wood that was supposed to be safe for the tank. Well the fish didn't die, but the water turned brown. So out they came. I left them in the arizona sun for a few years, then put back in the tank and they were then fine.

Do a photo shoot as you build, I would like to do something similar. Have not found any nice old dead trees to use yet.

if everything works out well then i can make you one and send it down to ya..just find a piece of drift wood or a tree stump with roots and i can try to make it..or just get me some dimensions and a drawing and i can go from there..im starting my project tomorrow..i didnt get to go to the park today since it started raining and the park is a flood plain

Ask a Question