Dropsy

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In all honesty, I was out of test strips and this tank was vacant but running as it was full of baby Koi till C2C came down and adopted all of them. I did buy strips and the tetracycline the same day. After the initial treatment (24hours later) I did test and I think I found the PH was close to 8.0. So being above 7.5 seems not to be a problem.

I did do 40 to 50% water changes 3 days in a row after seeing the out of balance tank and because it is recommended with the treatment.

The PH yesterday was only 7.2, a bit low. The nitrates were about 20. I added 2 more Koi that were not eating to the tank and that added more load. For some reason only my 2 year olds were not eating in the pond. The Adults and fry from this year and last are all doing well. It is a mystery to me. In the tank, they are all eating.

Reaction score
In all honesty, I was out of test strips and this tank was vacant but running as it was full of baby Koi till C2C came down and adopted all of them. I did buy strips and the tetracycline the same day. After the initial treatment (24hours later) I did test and I think I found the PH was close to 8.0. So being above 7.5 seems not to be a problem.

Thats nice to know as my Ph is always in the 8.2 to 8.4 range. I have only seen that on two of the many sites (that of being inneffective at high ph) that I visited reading up on it. There is alot of information out there on the web, trouble is, often it is contradictory.

Of perticular interest to me is the variuos treatments, and there effect on your bio-filter. Did the tetracycline hammer your bio-filter in your tank, or was it already dead from being empty? Just curious......sorry so many questions....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No the tank was never turned off after the baby koi were removed a day before. I did clean the filter and removed the carbon on the 1st day being carefull no to kill the goodguys inside.

As for the hammering, the only thing I have noticed is a slightly higher nitrate as mentioned in the last post.

Reaction score
No the tank was never turned off after the baby koi were removed a day before.

Ahh, I did not know the amount of time the tank was empty. So if the tetrcyline isn't effecting the bio-filter it must be good for gram positive bacteria, and leaves the gram negative bacteria alone (Nitrosomonas and nictrobacter are gram negative).

Reaction score
Interesting please share.....Do they eat it readily? When I was first getting into this hobby I tried an anti-parasitic food, but found the fish wouldn't touch it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got this from a koi farm breeder .
Recipe: Go to a Tractor Supply (Wally World for farmers) and buy 100 ml of "LA-200" injectable tetracycline.
To one pound of fish food I mix as follows...
To 10 ml of LA-200 I add 10 ml of cod liver oil (from GNC) and mix well.
I put one pound of fish food in a plastic baggie and add the oil/LA-200 mix and shake well to mix.
I feed as the sole ration for not less than 10 days.
Works well as a systemic antibiotic for external and internal bacterial infections.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Depends on the season.
Right now I'm feeding Hai Feng Quick Grow and Hikari wheat germ sinking pellets.
In the Summer I feed Black Water Gold plus lots of veggies, watermelon and shrimp.
Before a show if I'm showing I'll feed High Silk 21.

Reaction score
I think this brings up an important issue of having an emergecy first aid kit or medicine cabinet ready to go in case something happens.

Reaction score
So, we can help a lot of people, let's talk about what we think would be necessary for such a fishy medicine cabinet, so folks know what to buy and keep on hand. You won't need everything that is mentioned, but you can be selective as to what you'd like to carry based on your personal situations.

Tetracycline and salt are obviously two that would be beneficial. What else?

Ask a Question