ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
WalMart said "they'd handle it." They probably don't give a hoot anyway. I bought them there sinc these fish were to be used in an experiment, and I didn't want to risk pricier fish. Not much of a loss, but it's affecting the data a bit.

What is popeye caused by?

Reaction score
Ah, Wal-mart will refund your money. Not the best place to buy a fish, however. But I do understand budgetary constraints.

What is this "experiment" that you keep talking about?

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I am entering the National FFA Agriscience Fair, and my experiment involves koi fish diets. I separated half the fish in two equally sized kiddie pools with equal filteration. One group is being fed commercial fish food, the other is fed earthworms.

I figured the fish eating worms would develop diseases spread from the worms, but oddly enough, the fish that just died was in the fish food group. Please everyone don't chew me out for feeding koi worms, it isnt the healthiest, but it sure is an original idea for a science fair.

So what exactly causes Popeye in the first place?

_

Reaction score
There is no problem feeding koi worms if they'll eat 'em. I truly don't think a koi would contract anything from a worm. In fact, why wouldn't you just feed them critters in general, like mosquitos, flies, etc. that are all considered to harbor diseases. At least you'd give those koi more variety. LOL!

I've tried feeding 'em worms, but my koi won't eat them. But I really don't think you'll find the koi will get anything from eating any of those things.

Most koi get diseases and issues from poor water quality. The water itself harbors lots of bacterias, fungus', parasites, etc. If a koi has a weakened system in any way or a wound, etc. Then these beasts get into 'em and wreak havoc. Of course, there are things like viruses that one fish can give to another, etc. But I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a koi dying from eating worms such as you describe.

What do you plan on doing with the fish when you are done with your experiment? How are you filtering these kiddie pools (poor filtration will surely kill them), plus a kiddie pool is very shallow and gets hot very quickly in these temps that will warm up, I can assure you that will kill a fish faster than any worm.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
All my fish love worms, and they eat them up as fast as they are throwh in; the larger ones do anyway.

I am planning on starting construction on my pond before the experiment ends, so the fish will be moved into the main pond after a short quarintine period.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Re: Dropsy on the web

On the web.
Some causes of Popeye
Bad conditions eg. Lack of water changes or inefficient filtration, extreme PH levels and fluctuations or waste build up - bacteria levels can build up in fish waste and stress reduces koi immune system so they get the diseases listed below.
Trauma -Usually caused by damage such as leaping out. Treatments including antibiotics but can affect filter bacteria. Kanamycin sulfate based antibiotics are absorbed through the skin but are best given in food.
Bilateral Exophthalmia and Ascites (a swollen abdomen from fluid build up) is often seen in kidney disease - salt and anti internal bacteria treatment should help.
Icthyophonus hoferi (fungal disease) symptoms as above.
Vibrio (bacterial disease)symptoms as above usually with ulcers.

Ask a Question