Dwarf Hardy Beginner Waterlily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you Meyer I just ordered my 1st lily. Liou was the only one labeled hardy. I noticed on a lot of the water plants I purchase so far none have zones on them.What zones does hardy include ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you Meyer I just ordered my 1st lily. Liou was the only one labeled hardy. I noticed on a lot of the water plants I purchase so far none have zones on them.What zones does hardy include ?

Typically Zone 4 or 5 if planted at the recommended depth.

What was the given spread on the lily that you ordered?.
You mentioned earlier about keeping the lily pruned. If you cut off new growth as it appears the lily will never bloom. Those leaves produce the energy that is stored in the tuber to produce the flowers. Not enough stored energy....no flowers.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Liou looks like it might be perfect for my pond as well. It is 425 gallons and about 6 x 6. I was looking at a Nymphaea Aurora a dwarf that starts off as a creamy yellow and turns red over the course of a few days, but I thought a spread up to 3 feet might be a bit too much.

@Meyer Jordan I am in zone 6a, but my pond is raised (see avatar). Would a lily survive this situation or would I have to keep it in a tank inside over the winter? I figure I am going to get more ice than an in ground pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan I am in zone 6a, but my pond is raised (see avatar). Would a lily survive this situation or would I have to keep it in a tank inside over the winter? I figure I am going to get more ice than an in ground pond.

I see no real concern that a Hardy water lily would not survive your typical winters, but this would be at the recommended depth. Anything shallower changes the rules.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As long as a hardy lily is below the ice it will survive the winter, no matter how cold. Freezing solid may be a different story, but they are so unstoppable when they get established that even solid ice may not bother them!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As long as a hardy lily is below the ice it will survive the winter, no matter how cold. Freezing solid may be a different story, but they are so unstoppable when they get established that even solid ice may not bother them!

My pond is 30" deep, so if I keep it at about 15" during the winter I figure it should make it.

Ask a Question