j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yuck and thanks so much for the gross out pictures and it looks like they can do damage to one's liver by the pictures I see there. How do you know if you have them I wonder in the first stages? Ok I'm going to go see what info I can find..............be right back........................Ok here is what I found:

Infection by the liver fluke parasite is a major health concern for millions of people, specifically those living in the Far East, Eastern Europe, and Southeast Asia. In addition, because of the large amount of travel between countries, liver fluke infection is becoming more prominent in areas where the disease has not previously been found, such as in North America. There are several kinds of medical conditions that people infected by the parasite may experience, each dependent on the kind of parasite that has embedded itself into its host.

The sheep liver fluke, also called the Fasciola hepatica, and the Fasciola gigantica, are two kinds of parasites that typically infect herbivores – like sheep – but can also cause infection in humans. Usually, the eggs of the liver fluke are discharged in the stool of an infected animal. The eggs then embryonate in water, releasing miracidia, and then infect a snail as the intermediate host. Once inside the snail, the parasite transforms itself into metacercariae until it is ready to release itself from the snail and wait on plant life, such as watercress, for unsuspecting herbivores or humans to eat it. The animal, or the human, eats the plant and consequently, the parasite, and becomes infected.

In humans, it takes the nearly three to four months for the metacercariae to develop into an adult liver fluke of the F. hepatica or the F. gigantica varieties. However, once they are fully grown, they can be 30 – 75 mm, respectively. The related medical condition is called fascioliasis. Fascioliasis is most common where cattle and sheep are raised and where humans consume watercress. Symptoms include fever, abdominal pain, and eosinophilia; however, nearly 50% of those affected do not have any symptoms at all.

The other common parasites that cause liver fluke infection are the Opisthorchis viverrini, Clonorchis sinensis, and Opisthorchis felineus. They are endemic in nature in areas of Eastern Europe and East Asia. One 2001 study in Thailand has concluded that nearly 6 million individuals have Opisthorchiasis, an infection due to liver fluke. Most often, infection occurs where cyprinoid fish that is uncooked is common in the diet.

Because this variety of parasite is foodborne, they are very common. For example, if there is inadequate sanitation and poor infrastructure for raw sewage, humans can easily become infected with the C. sinensis and O. viverrini liver fluke parasites. The eggs of the parasites pass into the sources of water through feces where they attach to snails. When they release themselves from the snails as cercariae, they find the cyprinoid fish as hosts. There they attach to the fish skin, fins, and muscles and transform into metacercariae and when humans consume the raw fish, they become infected with the liver fluke and the related disease, Opisthorchiasis.

Again, most people who are affected by liver flukes or who have Opisthorchiasis do not have any symptoms. However, those who are infected can suffer from abdominal pain, fatigue, and enlarged gall bladder. In addition, the parasites O. viverrini and C. sinensis are considered carcinogens, and may cause cancer. Luckily, there are some pharmaceuticals that may help cure those affected by the liver fluke parasites.

This article below says California cows have a lot of flukes:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-BE_cca/INF-BE_cca00/INF-BE_cca0011.html Gross me out the door :bouncycig:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are you volunteering Malak...........cuz we could prolly set you up w/ a few California flukes if ya like :alieneyesa:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw.............I am not volunteering! but he just might..............for some nice pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I got my watercress in a package in the lettuce aisle- first store didn't have any, found it in the second. I just plunked 2 bunches in the veggie filter and one week later they are sprouting and have roots. They do like a water flow and I will not be eating this- liver fluke or no liver fluke :bye2:

I think the two bunches will fill up nicely. Will post a pic in a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Here is the veggie filter. Bought the antique pump for $20.00 at a yard sale and hubby painted it. Calla lilly I bought 2 years ago and it has survived for 2 winters.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 243

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used rooting hormone on mine and after they got well rooted then I put them in pea gravel

Reaction score
my Marsh Marigolds are always the first thing to bloom in the spring, very hardy my pond freezes pretty solid at the edges and they come back every year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I cannot find the plantainer here at lowes with the spout or waterfall they call it here ended up with the plain one but I really like the pump

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the plaintainer is the one I have in my waterfall and wanted that other one but never can find it .What did I buy jw soon be shelling out money monday for this other house that is if the stupid papers get there for the closing they did not arrive friday so they have to get there monday morning or we can't close .

Attachments

• new pond filter working 001.jpg
    new pond filter working 001.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 291

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh ok I get it. I have seen those ones w/ the built in falls.
I hope you get your papers so you can get done w/ this house buying deal.
I've been spending some days down at our empty rental cleaning and repairing what the dis-respectful renters did to the place. I am not having fun to say the least. I have a long ways to go before it can be rented again. There goes the money flying out the window again :regular_waving_emot

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's a shame what renters do to places .Sorry to hear you went through that as I have seen it first hand myself and would never want to rent to anyone these days people have no respect for things .At least I will not be renting it to this family and they have been really good about the money I am putting out and even though there not in the house they have already managed to give me some of what I 'm putting out, 5 thousand so far

Ask a Question