Energy Efficient Possibility ?

Reaction score
Was not sure where to post this, but since I am a newbie here goes.
Many of the knowledgeable members suggested that I put in the largest pond that I am able. (first pond)
I'm here to ask if its possible to have a large pond, and have it be energy efficient.
The reason this is important to me is that I am on a fixed income. Also, the utility company here is very proud of their electric and charge accordingly. I'm on a well, so no water bill.
The pond location will be in a full sun location. I'd like to stock with fish and plants.
So ...what are the possibilities?
Tony...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tony nowadays you can buy energy effcient pumps UV-C which is all you need apart from your filter of course

Dave

Reaction score
What sort of budget are we talking Tony? The initial expense of installing a pond can be costly. A big liner is not cheap. Nor is a good pump and filter. However, there are ways to do it cheaper. You can find used liners that may be in good condition or you can use something like roofing tarp or a used billboard sign. Some people claim to have great success with them. What kind of fish and how many are you hoping for? The smaller the fish, the smaller the pump and the less filtration you will need. An aerator is actually the best way to circulate water in regards to cost, however, that wont run any water through a filter for you.

Reaction score
Thank you for checking in gentlemen.
I've been away from fish keeping for some time now, so I'm not aware of the new energy efficient pumps. Is this a pet/aquarium store item or something I can obtain from my local Lowes?
I'm not so much worried about the initial outlay for a pond. Think I can dig a big enough hole for a 1000 gallon + pond. And put in whatever it needs without breaking the bank. More concerned with the month to month utility bill.
Fish? Probably goldfish or some other attractive variety.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for checking in gentlemen.
I've been away from fish keeping for some time now, so I'm not aware of the new energy efficient pumps. Is this a pet/aquarium store item or something I can obtain from my local Lowes?
I'm not so much worried about the initial outlay for a pond. Think I can dig a big enough hole for a 1000 gallon + pond. And put in whatever it needs without breaking the bank. More concerned with the month to month utility bill.
Fish? Probably goldfish or some other attractive variety.
Tony first let me say welcome to the forum. I have an external pump and I can't really notice the difference my pump makes on my untility bill. It is a sequence and I believe it is very energy efficient even with it being 10 years old, so i am sure the new ones are even better than mine. I ordered my off the internet, it was a bit expensive up front but I have had 0 problems with it and it runs 24/7 for 9-10 months out of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of budget are we talking Tony? The initial expense of installing a pond can be costly. A big liner is not cheap. Nor is a good pump and filter. However, there are ways to do it cheaper. You can find used liners that may be in good condition or you can use something like roofing tarp or a used billboard sign. Some people claim to have great success with them. What kind of fish and how many are you hoping for? The smaller the fish, the smaller the pump and the less filtration you will need. An aerator is actually the best way to circulate water in regards to cost, however, that wont run any water through a filter for you.
False economy Diesilplower why not buy new and get the 20 year garentee ?
We are at the moment getting rid of all our enery saving bulbs and replacing them with LED bulbs in our home they are brighter and burn even less electric than the other ones so as I said if Tony pays out for the energy saving UV-C and Pump then in the long run he's saving money .

Dave

Reaction score
Good to know Tmann. Saved the Sequence site to my favs for future reference. There may be one in my future.
I understand the initial outlay may be costly. That's why I'm digging the hole myself.
Thanks guys...

Ask a Question