Enough flow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
This is a 110 stocker and I'm running about 250 GPH here but the flow seems WEAK to me.
Should I be good?
I do plan on adding a small spitter/waterfall also.
Any thoughts/concerns/worries/warnings?
Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is an excellent flow rate for that size water feature. Any greater flow may be too much for the fish and quickly tire them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
That is an excellent flow rate for that size water feature. Any greater flow may be too much for the fish and quickly tire them.
Thanks, Meyer!
Would a small waterfall/spitter be a concern?
Should I install on opposite side of pond from the filter if I install one?
Thanks again...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To me it's a little unusual to have the water being pumped out so close to the surface of the water. If you had a raised water feature with water flowing down from a greater height the effect of the splashing water would be a lot more dramatic and would not seem to be so weak.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, Meyer!
Would a small waterfall/spitter be a concern?
Should I install on opposite side of pond from the filter if I install one?
Thanks again...

I am assuming that your pump is in the pond. In this case I would advise locating the pump on the opposite side of the pond across from the waterfall. I would also recommend locating the waterfall at or close to either end of the pond. This will create a longitudinal water flow the length of the pond ensuring proper mixing of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
I am assuming that your pump is in the pond. In this case I would advise locating the pump on the opposite side of the pond across from the waterfall. I would also recommend locating the waterfall at or close to either end of the pond. This will create a longitudinal water flow the length of the pond ensuring proper mixing of the water.
Awesome.
Thanks!

Ask a Question