Not enough algae?

M

MariaTeresa

In our 1000gal pond we have 3 adult goldfish, 2 babies from a spawn last autumn, and a continuously increasing fry population. Also 1 bullfrog tadpole. The pond was begun early last August and we've never fed the fish but let them live off of the pond. I did have plenty of anacharis in there last year but the fish never seemed to eat any. After winter there is none left....eaten? decayed? The pond came out of winter covered in blanket algae with clumps floating up from the bottom constantly. Now the pond has almost no algae. All of the pots that were covered are clear, the sides of the pond, the bottom, etc. No algae. Well, there is a little green moss-like algae growing on the liner, but that's it and you have to look pretty carefully to see it. There is some lovely bright green algae on some of the rocks where the "bird beach" begins. This is a shallow section with rocks for the birds to bathe in. But the fish ignore this algae.

I've been a little concerned that the fish might not be getting enough to eat. They are feeding most of the time, but everything looks so clean that I'm afraid they aren't getting much. They do gulp down larvae and bugs that make the mistake of landing on the pond, as well as worms that crawl in when it rains, but that's not much. They were fine last year and that was with a brand new pond, so you'd think they'd have more to eat now that the pond is almost a year old.

Recently I added 3 trapdoor snails to the pond. One has died...it was floating at the surface, but had its trapdoor shut so I wasn't sure if it was dead. Today it was very obviously dead (wow do they stink!). A second trapdoor floated up to the top today, though without the horrible smell. I have ramhorns and pond snails that are doing fine. I'm not sure why the trapdoors seem to be dying, but if there isn't enough algae for them perhaps that could be why?

I tried putting some fish food in the pond, but the fish didn't even notice it, they just kept on grazing on the sides of the pond. They are spawning...so maybe they are also getting some fry in their diet.

Could the lack of algae be an issue? Could the fish now need some supplemental food or should the pond be able to support them? I was thinking of getting a couple more fish but that would mean more hungry mouths.

Any thoughts?

M

MariaTeresa

These aren't the best pictures, I have trouble getting pictures without the reflection/glare on the water.

The one looks like the water is brown and cloudy, but it actually isn't. It is clear enough to see the little black aquarium pebbles that fell to the 3' bottom. You can see in this picture that the air stone tubing (bottom left) has no algae (it used to be covered with string algae), as well as the rocks holding up pots and the one pot itself. The pump tubing that you can sort of see also no longer has its long string algae. The little rocks in the bottom right are the ones that do have the bright green algae. In this picture the fish are down at the bottom eating algae off the screen the pump is in. (That does collect a little bit of algae). The bright white thing in the bottom right is a water hyacinth....not the best picture.
DSC_9128.JPG

DSC_9130.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Things look fine to me.
The very few times I have tried to feed my fish, they don't recognize it either. (Until they can smell it anyways).
Feeding seems to cause more problems than it solves. Feeding the fish is overrated.:)

I don't add snails to my pond. Invertebrates can be fussy when it comes to acclimation.
Have you done any water tests?
Did you acclimate the snails to your pond water before you added them?

M

MariaTeresa

I don't have the means to test the water, but the fish are doing great. I did acclimate the snails, and they were added two weeks ago. If acclimation was the issue I would have expected the deaths to have been earlier, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Possibly.
It depends on how much and what was different between the water they came in and your pond water.
Two weeks is a long time for that to be the issue, but again, invertebrates can be fussy. Sudden changes in the water quality in general can also contribute to their demise.

The water looks quite still in your pond. What do you have for circulation, aeration and filtration?

M

MariaTeresa

I have a waterfall that runs almost 24/7 (it is solar powered and can run 26 hours on full battery) and an air stone that runs about 8 hours a day, 1 hr at a time. The water fall is at one end and the air stone at the other. The air stone was not running in that picture, it would be at the bottom left. The pump is 500gph and the waterfall has quilt batting, a filter pad, charcoal and ceramic pieces for filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your pond looks good to me too. Your original question is should you worry about the fish, are they getting enough food? I wouldn't worry, I think they'll be fine :)

I run my aerator 24 / 7, but if I only ran it sometimes, I'd run it at night. While plants give oxygen during the day...they take it at night. You have a lovely pond :)

M

MariaTeresa

Thanks, Tula. I've been running the aerator during the day since that is the hottest...but the water actually hasn't gotten over 65F, so maybe I should switch to the night.

I'm relieved to hear that my fish probably aren't starving! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maria, Your fish look fine to me and definitely not underfed. There are lots of different kinds of algae. Maybe there is no string algae but it looks like there are probably other kinds the fish are eating.

Ask a Question