Ever been on a Pond Tour?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love pond tours. I have been going on them almost every year for 16 years. Some people really love showing you their pond and will have pictures showing you the pond's progress. Others provide refreshment. And as said above, some people just make themselves scarce to let you explore. I went on one last weekend. Here are some pics.
235 Edgerton (1).JPG

311 Prairie.JPG

325 Moulton (1).JPG

925 Merton (2).JPG

1457 Timbertop.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We started taking our son when he was a teenager - that's how my pondless and my pond got built! He got bit by the pond bug early! And it's not just ponds - we've seen gorgeous landscaping, hardscaping, houses... so many ideas and creative ways to incorporate water into the yard!
When my kids were 5, 8, and 11yrs old we got 2 puppies trying to get them outside more, that didn't work either so I doubt fish will!
I couldn't believe they showed zero interest in those puppies, I'm just glad we only got 2 and not one for each kid like we first thought of doing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love pond tours. I have been going on them almost every year for 16 years. Some people really love showing you their pond and will have pictures showing you the pond's progress. Others provide refreshment. And as said above, some people just make themselves scarce to let you explore. I went on one last weekend. Here are some pics.
View attachment 113757

View attachment 113758

View attachment 113759

View attachment 113760

View attachment 113761
Thanks for posting pics, @cas , I love the first one! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When my kids were 5, 8, and 11yrs old we got 2 puppies trying to get them outside more, that didn't work either so I doubt fish will!
I couldn't believe they showed zero interest in those puppies, I'm just glad we only got 2 and not one for each kid like we first thought of doing
Your not alone, my teen never comes out to garden, maybe I need to find a pond tour and drag him along. Up until he was 13 you could not drag him inside, out on trails on his bike, hiking he'd be first up the trails. Now it seems his bedroom is a cave for hibernating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My advice to all teen parents - not that anyone is asking, but here it is anyway! - cut off the electronics. No TV or computers in the bedroom, no video games, limit their time with the phones. It's for their own good. BORE THEM TO DEATH and they will eventually come out of hibernation.

I work with high school students and the addiction to the phones and video games is the number one problem we deal with every day. We have students who will confess that they never sleep at night - they are up playing games or texting/snapchatting/instagramming all night long. We have students who are on their phone IN SCHOOL all day long - if they aren't using it to communicate with someone, they are listening to music with headphones in their ears. How can they possibly be learning anything? When the phones get taken away, they go into an absolute rage - just like a drug addict who can't get a fix. Cut them off and suffer with them for a few days and eventually a real human will emerge.

Kids NEED nature. They need to be connected with the earth and with living things. If nothing else, they need to be mowing your grass or weeding your flower beds or spreading mulch for your neighbors... get them out in the sunshine and get them busy. They will hate you for it, but will eventually thank you. They may be 20 or 25 before it happens, but eventually they will realize it was for their own good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your spot on. My eldest (
My advice to all teen parents - not that anyone is asking, but here it is anyway! - cut off the electronics. No TV or computers in the bedroom, no video games, limit their time with the phones. It's for their own good. BORE THEM TO DEATH and they will eventually come out of hibernation.

I work with high school students and the addiction to the phones and video games is the number one problem we deal with every day. We have students who will confess that they never sleep at night - they are up playing games or texting/snapchatting/instagramming all night long. We have students who are on their phone IN SCHOOL all day long - if they aren't using it to communicate with someone, they are listening to music with headphones in their ears. How can they possibly be learning anything? When the phones get taken away, they go into an absolute rage - just like a drug addict who can't get a fix. Cut them off and suffer with them for a few days and eventually a real human will emerge.

Kids NEED nature. They need to be connected with the earth and with living things. If nothing else, they need to be mowing your grass or weeding your flower beds or spreading mulch for your neighbors... get them out in the sunshine and get them busy. They will hate you for it, but will eventually thank you. They may be 20 or 25 before it happens, but eventually they will realize it was for their own good.
Your spot on. My eldest fifteen has no phone and has been told it's an earned privilege if he would like to earn it. My twelve year old old has an old push button cell phone, so he can remain in contact. Reason for the old phone is ,my trust issues is not with my son, but others. I have seen what these kids look at and how they bully each other online, it's enough to curl you're toes. My youngest who is eight never wants to be indoors, loves to work. The garden is the best thing for him. It's the best feeling watching him water his blueberries and eat them off the Bush. When I was a kid my mother worked in a nursery and garden centre, during weekends and summer, I pulled weeds in exchange for my own plants. My dad helped me build my little glass house back then. The two men who owned the business gentlemen and scholars both, were a massive influence on me at the time. Big on conservation and saving endangered flora, I learned so much. My experience in the nursery from these kind gentlemen, and my parents influence set the foundation for my future and love of learning. We did not watch tv or chat on phones. I went on to study horticulture after school and consider their influence on my life a huge blessing. I'm thankfully cell phones were not the norm back then. I find there is a lot more external distractions that kids have to contend with today then when I was a kid, and I think they have a harder time dealing with it, as it is not easily avoided in this new age of technology.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So very true. The things we see and hear from our students and their online "life" are so discouraging. Kids no longer can go home to get away from peer pressure and bullying - it follows them 24/7. If my kids were young teens now, they would not have phones. We all think it's a safety issue, but we all grew up safely without them. The negatives of being "constantly connected" far outweigh the positives of the off chance that they may need to call for help. Today no one makes plans ahead of time - we have kids wanting to call or text home to arrange a ride after school. Plan ahead! We have parents CALLING their kids in the middle of the school day - why? Don't bother them - they're at school. And the worst is when parents get notified DAILY to tell them the phone is a problem at school and their response is to tell the SCHOOL to take the phone away - they're too afraid to do it because their kids will hate them. LET THEM HATE YOU. It's your job to be the parent, not the friend. Do the right thing and your kids will thank you later.

Ugh. Sorry @Gemma to hijack your thread - it's my hot button issue!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This weekend I'm going to my very first "Pond Tour"! View attachment 113694
I have no idea what to expect since I've never been to one, I think we are given a list of locations to visit, and a bracelet to identify us as tour members, it'll feel very weird walking up to strangers houses and enter their backyard....I hope they don't have loose dogs!
Any of you ever been to a tour?
Gemma. I have gone on pond tours more than 1/2 dozen times. I would say the majority of the people are super nice and love talking to people that share their same interest. I was planning on going today to the Midwest Koi tour today and can't seem to find the map book. I'm guessing my wife put it away some place, but she doesn't remember doing it! It sounds like you are not going to the
Chicago area one but if you do definitely go see the two brothers who have a pond in Brookfield. They have a barbeque going and free craft beer they brew themselves!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well we (hubby and I) just got back from our first State Pond Tour and we both had a very good time!
Too bad it rained the whole time so no pics.
We visited 7 locations, all very unique and beautiful, with ponds large and small, one had a train track disappearing into the waterfall and coming out at the other end, very creative.
Everyone was so welcoming, the gardens were so nicely landscaped and well kept (very inspiring), one location even had relaxing music, and I have to post a pic of the "koi shaped" (and Lily pads) cookies they were handing out, too cute! I need a koi cookie cutter!

This was a lot of fun and something hubby and I will look forward to do again, for sure!

koicookies.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma. I have gone on pond tours more than 1/2 dozen times. I would say the majority of the people are super nice and love talking to people that share their same interest. I was planning on going today to the Midwest Koi tour today and can't seem to find the map book. I'm guessing my wife put it away some place, but she doesn't remember doing it! It sounds like you are not going to the
Chicago area one but if you do definitely go see the two brothers who have a pond in Brookfield. They have a barbeque going and free craft beer they brew themselves!
Sorry you missed it!
Not this year, but someday perhaps (when the kids are grown and out of the house) I would like to travel to the Chicago Aquascape Tour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well we (hubby and I) just got back from our first State Pond Tour and we both had a very good time!
Too bad it rained the whole time so no pics.
We visited 7 locations, all very unique and beautiful, with ponds large and small, one had a train track disappearing into the waterfall and coming out at the other end, very creative.
Everyone was so welcoming, the gardens were so nicely landscaped and well kept (very inspiring), one location even had relaxing music, and I have to post a pic of the "koi shaped" (and Lily pads) cookies they were handing out, too cute! I need a koi cookie cutter!

This was a lot of fun and something hubby and I will look forward to do again, for sure!

View attachment 113858
I'm glad you had a great time. I must look up pond tours in my area, sounds so interesting. A train going under a waterfall, I'm imagining the things you do with it, Polar express on the tracks for Christmas. Did you have a favorite pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad you had a great time. I must look up pond tours in my area, sounds so interesting. A train going under a waterfall, I'm imagining the things you do with it, Polar express on the tracks for Christmas. Did you have a favorite pond?
Actually no, I can't say that I liked one more than another because for one they were all beautiful and two I'm still very much split between the beauty of an aquascape style pond, and my wish to have full view of my koi.
We brought home a bit of inspiration from each one not much for our ponds but for the whole garden design!... like the train ( that was very cool), lighting under the caps of the pond (never thought of that), building an outdoor fireplace that can be used in the rain, rather than the ground level fire pit we were going to build, spray painting seed pods on plants to make them look like unusual blooms (that was awesome) and so much more.....

You should go, you'll love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually no, I can't say that I liked one more than another because for one they were all beautiful and two I'm still very much split between the beauty of an aquascape style pond, and my wish to have full view of my koi.
We brought home a bit of inspiration from each one not much for our ponds but for the whole garden design!... like the train ( that was very cool), lighting under the caps of the pond (never thought of that), building an outdoor fireplace that can be used in the rain, rather than the ground level fire pit we were going to build, spray painting seed pods on plants to make them look like unusual blooms (that was awesome) and so much more.....

You should go, you'll love it!
I am definitely going to look into it, everyone seems to have great experiences. How do you mean lighting under the caps?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Tara that was a partially above ground pond out of blocks (like we are building), the caps (finishing stones that cover the liner) had rope lighting underneath around the whole edge of the pond
Sort of like this fire pit, where you don't see the light unless they're on
upload_2018-7-22_9-0-11.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Tara that was a partially above ground pond out of blocks (like we are building), the caps (finishing stones that cover the liner) had rope lighting underneath around the whole edge of the pond
Sort of like this fire pit, where you don't see the light unless they're on
View attachment 113882
Got it. Now I really want to go on a pond tour even more. I like the light idea.

Ask a Question