Ever use an external pump with priming pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Swimming pool sand filters were designed to filter water that was already chemically cleaned. A sand filter on a pond is very difficult to maintain. It will clog very quickly.
It was not designed for a bio filter
Consider using a bead filter instead or covert that one to a bead filter.
I'm sorry I don't carry Zeobrite filter media.

Reaction score
I have read SOOO many articles on this topic. Seems like everyone who is against them is selling a bead filter instead. I know they clog quickly but that means they are filtering stuff out, right? Back washing is an easy process. The Zeobrite does not clog like sand and has much more surface area. I watched a ton of Koi videos on You Tube from Japan and they are using sand filters for their ponds. Check out the Zeobrite website. They state that their product is ideal for fish ponds. I'm really hoping this works, I will keep you posted ; ) Also would love to hear from anyone else using a sand filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do what you wish. I'm just stating that sand filters are not bio filters.I did say "or covert that one to a bead filter" I'm not trying to sell anything to you.
Just the sand or Zeobrite filters are used for polishing water if your here or japan
I checked out website and no where did it say bio.

Reaction score
I agree 100% with DoDad. Pool sand filters are a nightmare on a pond that you will regret. And correct, they supply zero bio. Pool equipment does not belong on a pond (which uses high pressure to do it's thing); and pond equipment does not belong on a pool. Yes, pool stuff may be cheaper, but it's not right for a pond. Whoever gave you this info or wherever you read it on a site is incorrect. You can get away with a pool skimmer on a pond if you don't have a heavy leaf situation, but that's about all that is interchangeable.

Vaya con dios and do what you wish, but we're giving you a big warning.

Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
good luck!!!

how noisy are these external pumps? that would probably be my last deciding factor

Super quiet. I will not have to insulate it for noise like I thought I might need to and the results are amazing. Pond was crystal clear within 4 days. Should have done this years ago but was warned against it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1HP, 4000GPH
4200 Sequence Pump - 1/8 HP - 4200 gph - 180W
Now what would I buy?:bouncycig:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country