Expanding pond...need some help/suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United States
800 gallon pond currently, will be expanding to 10’wX15’lX3/4’D. Will more than likely be installing a new full sheet of EPDM. Current filtration is a pump running through a skimmer box that also runs through our waterfall.
Plan is to relocate the fish (goldies now) into a holding container and drain pond. Remove liner but keep current small waterfall where it is along with skimmer box. Once the new dimensions are excavated Im going to be building a new large tall rockscaped waterfall. I can handle the digging, lining (commercial roofing foreman), rocking all that good stuff. I need help with a new filtration setup as I know minimal about pond filtration. I have 12 aquariums but there all hang on back and sponge filtered and I obviously need something way bigger for the new pond. My pump currently is at the bare minimum for my 800g pond.
so suggestions on a new added filter/pump for the pond itself and new large waterfall!
Pic below of current pond
6171AD7C-0D39-45D4-9897-541F22F3B643.jpeg
8ECA7D0D-45C6-4D1B-9A39-3D34FD500ECD.jpeg
F8FDDC8E-E81E-4D0F-B2C2-1178DAEFA0A4.jpeg
24F925FD-6060-4FC4-9237-BA52373CC1D8.jpeg
04852706-F1B2-4B51-ADA0-C0421E872CF1.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond.

See if you can incorporate a bog filter into your system, a great way to filter your pond. Almost no care.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Personally, I would flip the waterfall and skimmer, so you can enjoy the view of the waterfall from the deck. Agree with the others look into a bog for the filter it will beat any store bought filter you can find.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fully agree with @Jhn your water fall should face the deck. the area in the corner where your hose is coiled looks to be dead space . but i see your footings aren't very deep so you'll need to keep it a shallow area . A STATIC BOG OR JUST AN AREA THATs only a foot deep and you can grow many types of wetland plants with all kids of color with little to no maintenance. flip the water fall so you can see it as well as hear it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The new waterfall will be on the other side/corner and will be much larger and facing the deck. For the record we bought the house with the pond and deck was built after.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a great spot for a pond! Another vote for bog filtration. You'll never regret it.

One thing that stood out was your plan for a "large tall" waterfall - the number one recommendation you will hear from pros is to avoid the "volcano" style waterfall if you want a natural looking pond. Just something to think about -

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great spot for a pond! Another vote for bog filtration. You'll never regret it.

One thing that stood out was your plan for a "large tall" waterfall - the number one recommendation you will hear from pros is to avoid the "volcano" style waterfall if you want a natural looking pond. Just something to think about -
Ya i guess tall was a poor choice of words, plan is more of a “mound to use all the dirt from excavating then rock it all in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
mound to use all the dirt from excavating then rock it all in.

Think "berm" vs "mound" - you want the pond to fit with the landscape. A flat yard wouldn't suddenly erupt in a mound of rocks. Easing the waterfall in with a berm that extends outward is a much more natural look. And you don't need a lot of height to have a beautiful waterfall with lots of good sound!

Ask a Question