feeding Koi

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
6 - 8" Koi will eat medium size pellets. The large ones might be too big for thier mouths. Flakes are very expensive, so the pellets will save you money and should provide all the right nutrients for them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Floating pellets made for pondfish are pretty universal. There are some that are very expensive and others that are not. Compare the ingredients before buying the more pricey food.

Feeding 3 times a day into a 20 gallon tank with a 6-8" Koi will require you to do frequent water changes. This is a lot of food and waste for a 20 gallon tank.

Reaction score
I'm not feeding that much at each feeding. No more than 2-4 flakes. That way I know it's not being wasted. I feed the Koi like I feed my Angelfish and other fish. I feed small amounts at a time so I can feed more often.

Reaction score
The weather here in TN is getting pretty warm right now through the day, the water temp is around 50 to 58 degrees day time and at night it is dropping to around 45. Is it ok to feed them small amounts during the day. I have some goldies and 4 small koi around 5". How much should I feed them if its ok?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It would be safer to wait til your water temps are a consistent 55* or so otherwise the food will stagnate in their guts and rot and kill the fish. They will not starve to death. Their metabolisms are way low right now so they don't use much energy and if they want to nibble on algae or plants they will do so. Most don't feed their fish in the winter at all. Wait til Spring and then feed a wheat germ based food till waters warm up even more. :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Ok thanks alot for your help and wise info.... I did give them a little before I read your reply. Now I am worried! I hope I did not do them harm. I will not feed them at all till spring no matter the temp. Thanks again!!

Thanks,

Zipper
"Scouts Out"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi c2c7390, Remember when the water gets that cold their metabolism slows way down. They don't need the food at all and it actually can kill them. Usually the rule of thumb is when the water consistently stays below 50 degrees. The converse is true for start up in the spring. Feed them when the water is consistently over 50 degrees. Also as pond people we all know there is stuff in the pond they are eating and they will not starve. They say that eating certain gnats in the spring may stimulate spawning behavior.

Ask a Question