Feeding kois in fall/winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m a newby with koi’s.. I just got them in the summertime. I heard when temperatures go below 50’s stop feeding them bc they will get rot gut? What if I put a submersible heater in? But still not fed them very much? Also, is some algae on the side of pond ok? I need some guidance.. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
- This looks like a goldfish pond, 100 to 200 gallons? 1 koi requires a minimum of 1000 gallons. They grow up to be bigger than the whole container you got there.

- Algae on the side of the pond is good.

- Switch to wheat germ in the cold weather and stop if the water temperature goes below 50. You're just feeding algae at that point.

- They dont need a heater, but you may need a deicer if your pond is gonna freeze solid from above.

Reaction score
Country
United States
- This looks like a goldfish pond, 100 to 200 gallons? 1 koi requires a minimum of 1000 gallons. They grow up to be bigger than the whole container you got there.

- Algae on the side of the pond is good.

- Switch to wheat germ in the cold weather and stop if the water temperature goes below 50. You're just feeding algae at that point.

- They dont need a heater, but you may need a deicer if your pond is gonna freeze solid from above.
THANKS FOR RESPONDING!! I need guidance! Lol! Yeah it’s not really big, koi’s are small and next summer I’m gonna get a bigger pond for sure! A wheat germ? Are you talking about the straw looking stuff? I can google it.. or reach out to the lady I bought them from. And is it still ok to clean my submersible water filter; even though it has the “good” algae on it? So no to a heater? Only a deicer? I’m so HAPPY I found this forum! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I strongly advice wintering them indoors or finding them a new home. IF you have little options then yes a heater, some hay bales fluffed around the tub and a plastic teepee over it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
THANKS FOR RESPONDING!! I need guidance! Lol! Yeah it’s not really big, koi’s are small and next summer I’m gonna get a bigger pond for sure! A wheat germ? Are you talking about the straw looking stuff? I can google it.. or reach out to the lady I bought them from. And is it still ok to clean my submersible water filter; even though it has the “good” algae on it? So no to a heater? Only a deicer? I’m so HAPPY I found this forum! :D

You gotta measure the temperature before you feed. Dont want to do it when its below 50 F in the water. Here is a link to wheat germ food. I wouldnt over do it. They are at risk of dying from ammonia in that small pond. They will continue to grow in the winter and will munch at the algae in the pond if hungry.

A trough heater will do it or a deicer. Considering its not a big pond and it's above ground i'd use a trough heater like this one.

Leave your filter alone. You dont need to clean the filter in the winter. The bacteria will die mostly but if you keep it running the pond will pick up the good bacteria early and will clear from ammonia early as you go to spring. You could turn it off in the dead of the winter. I dont turn mine off and with the trough heater i doubt all the bacteria die.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Trying to heat an outdoor pond in the winter can get real expensive. I don't e en plugmy 1500w heaters in unless the ponds freeze over solid.

Ask a Question