Fiding a leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have a smaller pond - about 600 gallons - and it has developed a leak. The liner is rubber. I looked but I haven't spotted any holes. It can't be a huge leak because it takes a few days to go down a few inches.

Is there an accepted chemical to add to the water to find a leak? This pond does have several older gold fish.
Thanks, John

Reaction score
you could get in there with some waders and feel around cause the leak/hole should feel diffrent than the smooth liner
at least it would in my pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if the water stops leaking out, it stops at the leak, follow the water line until you find it. chances are its in the seam if you have one. if you can do this with out losing too much in water volume, whereas not to jeapordize your fish,great.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never done this but i did read this on an old post
pour milk around the outer rim of the pond
the milk is supposed to travel to the leak
i would let the water go down to the level where the water stops leaking on it own then add a little more water ,,,then the milk ..

Reaction score
DrCase said:
I never done this but i did read this on an old post
pour milk around the outer rim of the pond
the milk is supposed to travel to the leak
i would let the water go down to the level where the water stops leaking on it own then add a little more water ,,,then the milk ..

milk??? i guess its like food coloring except that the white would show up better against the black liner...its a good idea but i dont know if i would want my koi swimming in milk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I may have to wait to warmer weather before I procede much further. There is so much rain water on the ground that it is difficult to find leaks on the surface near the water fall, etc.

I was looking at auto fill devices that attach to a garden hose to keep the level up in the event we take a short trip. Any recommendations? Like the Hudson fill vales?
Thanks, John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I did find that hole and I fixed it. Then, I discovered a leak in the bigger, inground pond. This is about 2000 gallons. I found a 1/2 inch tear where a critter like a nutria probably tore it exiting the pond.

Reaction score
i looked it up cause i wasnt too sure what it was and found this

NUTRIA.jpg

its like a beaver, otter, and a rat all put together

Ask a Question