Figuring lift?

Reaction score
Might seem stupid, but I'll ask. When figuring lift, do you just measure the vertical distance? I am assuming you would also have to try to figure out the angle of lift. Here's why I ask. I have a pump that is approxamitly 12 ft away from the filter I am going to build. The inlet of the filter is 2 1/2 ft haigh than the pump. I am looking for a target of 1200 gph inside the filter. This is why I am asking. Any good forula's I can use, or am I going to have to wing it?

Reaction score
One of the links was wanting me to install a xls file. Not sure what those are. Interesting read though. Looks like every 10 ft of plumbing restricts a foot of head. So, lets say the horizontal plumbing is about 9 ft. Vertical, all said, is about 7 ft (very rough estimate). I will need a pump that does roughly 1500 gph @ 20ft or so? Am I thinking correctly on this?

Reaction score
Google "water friction loss table" for lots of tables.

If you use 2" pipe the friction loss is almost nothing, around 1" head loss in your case.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of the links was wanting me to install a xls file. Not sure what those are. Interesting read though. Looks like every 10 ft of plumbing restricts a foot of head. So, lets say the horizontal plumbing is about 9 ft. Vertical, all said, is about 7 ft (very rough estimate). I will need a pump that does roughly 1500 gph @ 20ft or so? Am I thinking correctly on this?

.xls is excel, just a spread sheet, built with calculation cells.

Ask a Question