Filter clogging nearly instantly.

Reaction score
I have a 300 gallon pond in my backyard that I cleaned out and restarted in May. I put in a Pondmaster PMK1250 Pond Filter with 250gph Pump and ran the rest of May and all of June with no problems. I put 6 feeder goldfish, a larger goldfish, and a couple plecos in around the beginning of June and everything had been clear and perfect, no algae, etc.

Then this month I noticed my filter was clogged up. Took it apart and cleaned it last week but it's already clogged up again and not moving water. It's been HOT here in WV. I don't really see much algae, nothing floating, only a thin green slime on the rocks and dark brown 'dirt' on the bottom. The filter is full of a dark, dark brown/green mess. Do I need plants? I have no idea what to do...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep it sounds like some of the muck from to many fish could be your problem and that is a small pump to handle it all and so it gets clogged up fast .Fish poo and all kinds of waste are producing it .You may need to get a bigger pump and build yourself a bio filter as it will work better .

Reaction score
Really? Bummer, I thought I had bought a pump that would be more than good enough for a full-grown pond full of fish. I'll research what a bio filter is. Any other tips?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you tube is a great place to find step by step instructions and videos that better explain it plus a variety of filter media .I have 13 fish in my pond and it takes 2 pumps and 2 filters but 2 of my koi are around 2 feet long and they produce a lot of waste .I wish i had taken a pic of the extra 2 pumps I have in my filter this morning all filled with green slime and muck .I am rebuilding part of my pond and my my big filters so have 2 small pumps in there to help pick up stuff when I have to shut off one of my bigger pumps to work on that side of my pond .I am rebuilding the bridge also and the sides of the pond also .The waterfall is a temp. patch until we get cooler weather as I have a small leak there .I know what and where it is but it means taking the whole water fall and filter apart to fix the problem .I figure if I am going to do that I will make the filter and falls a little bigger to help aerate the pond better .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have a liquid test kit because you will need to test your water and strips are not very good .Could be your levels are up and that could kill your fish .PH is important as well as all the rest of your tests .I have koi so they are fussy .Pet mountain and big als and webbs online have good deals at times and even offer free shipping if you spend like 50 dollars .There is a place in PA called that fish place also that is good and fins and feathers in Richmond VA are good .

Reaction score
No, I have nothing but the filter and the fish. And it seems that my water balance is right, it's just fish waste and silt. I don't understand why my filter is not enough. I measured my pond, figured the volume and bought a filter that said it was sufficient. Now after researching a bio filter it just seems like the same thing in another form.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is they do not calculate fish load when they tell you what size filter .I even tried to ask that question one time when I was building my pond .What about fish load and they never answered my question .I guess they really don't care they just want to sell you something .I use a 2150 gph pump and a 2900 gph pump so I can over filter and helps aerate the pond with the extra water movement

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a aprox 3,000 gal pond and I'm running 2 pumps. A 3600 gph pump for my filter and water fall and a 2,100 gph pump for my stream. I would always go bigger with a pump because if its moving too much water you can slow it down with a ball valve. A bio filter will work great at reducing fish waste.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The filter you have now may be worthless or you can use it just send some water to that filter and make another filter and you will really be filtering a lot of the stuff and have nice clear water ,or you could make a bigger pond

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
A bio-filter will not unclog your filter, it has a different purpose altogether. A bio-filter is something with a lot of surface area that allows beneficial bacteria to colonize it and multiply. Once mature, what it essentially is is a biological factory that turns ammonia into nitrates. It will not unclog your pump!

What you need is a larger mechanical filter with more surface area. And it also depends on what stage your pond is at. Your pond is an ever changing ecosystem and it will get past that stage. For now, just keep cleaning your filter every week and it will pass. For the long run, think about getting a T or Y connector:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Laguna-...uplers/dp/B001VEQWKG/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2
and then getting another Pumpmaster pond filter so that you will double your surface area.

Ask a Question