filter for new pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very interesting and I'm sure quite effective. Albeit a little antiquated.

I'm not sure how many here will want to go through that much trouble to clean it. The Doc and Skippy filter require 45 seconds every couple weeks and we do not have to move any pipes or fittings, get our hands wet or have a vacuum turned upside down as a blower to do it. I need only 50 gallons of water to get mine clean and that is what is dumped when I open the 2 Inch dump valve. After 45 seconds, I close it and I'm done.

Water is always crystal clear and bio perfect. If you are ever in the San Diego area, stop by, I would be happy to show you the trouble free system used here.

Another breeder just north of here who has 80,000 Koi uses the same method I use. His family in Japan that have 250,000 koi are using the same as his. These are, of course much larger in scale.

Koiguy
Chime in here, you are the Skippy expert...

Reaction score
Antequated huh, I'm sorry your irrigation tubing is so much more modern and up to date with today's technology. As your filtration sure does great for bio filtration (just like any 55gal barrel filed with some sort of plastic will) yours will not remove Fines. That is the main purpose of the S&G. The video, if you read my comments, was taken one week after the filter was up and running. I needed to get it up and running quickly so I did have all my valves up top.
1.You do not need to get your hands wet
2.I used the vacuum as the blower as I did not have the blower in time

I was offering this as a solution for someone asking for help, I do not benefit anything from this. Just speaking on experience and how much happier I am w this filter over the previous skippy I had. If you'd like to name drop I can do the same. But what point does that make? Eh

You make it real hard to enjoy this board and have diverse ideas presented. As everything begins nd ends with the doc

Reaction score
Way back when, there was a song or story about a horse named Ole Dan Patch – the jist being -- it ain’t what you got, it’s what you do with what you got.
If finances were no issue I might sit back and let the pro’s do it all for me and fuss when they didn’t do it right. As is, I scrounge and DIY and probably enjoy it more than those that never get their hands wet or dirty!:regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Cause
It is not me that is elevating this. You seem to take offense when debated. Everything here does not begin and end with a doc filter. If you are going to quote us then get it right.

I didn't come on and say "you definetley want a S&G filter" to a person asking for help. Nor do any of us say you have to have a doc or skippy filter. We offer that as an option to consider. There are hundreds of us using them here and the cost is less than $100 to build one. Many folks are able to scrounge up everything they need for less than that.

I know what Forum you came from, they have deep pockets and attitudes to match. That is what sets our forums apart. This is mostly friendly backyard folks on a budget that want to make do with what they have.

So can we please be civil and stop the attacks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all have our own ideas and some work some don't, Reading and figuring out what will work for you and what you want to do is what is needed.

I have a bog, a lot of people don't like bogs, That does not bother me, mine works, but also I am not doing a large fish load, or koi.

This is my 4th pond built with bogs, they work for me.

Trying to keep it simple is my goal, we travel a lot, the pond needs to be able to care for itself, with some human help too of course..........

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cauzeneffeckt said:
I like bogs too, i just built one, no gravel though... all plants in there bare root.

My plants are bare rooted, but put in gravel. Our bog is on the huge size........ poor honey, as he wheeled barrels of pea gravel, asked how big is this sucker? lol

Reaction score
heres an image when I was building it and testing stuff... you can see a black pipe there... not there anymore
acr8k0.jpg

basically goes back into the pond through my rock weir

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cauzeneffeckt said:
ty! post a pic of yours!

it is 27 feet by 6 feet. These of pictures right after I planted it. Next year will be interesting on how it looks.

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Still need to get a waterfall rock installed at the overflow point. And some crushed oyster shells, our well is very acidic.

DSC00322.jpg

Ask a Question