filter media

Reaction score
The one thing I was impressed with was the rolled up deer fence I have in my 1st barrel. Couldn't believe the sludge build up it had.

Oldhead,

Is that "sludge" build up or is it bacteria colonies?

What exactly is it that you are using that you refer to as deer fence? Is it vinyl coated wire or purely vinyl fencing like the new style snow-fencing?
I always remember the old wire-wrapped wood lattice snow fences from days of yore, but they make all sorts of totally plastic based snow fences nowadays. Especially the orange colored stuff and even the black colored stuff that I often see used along the highways and interstates in the medians and ditches to break the rain water runoff and deter erosion.

I believe that just about anything will work, but I can see several options being much better than others. I personally don't like the idea of anything with a lot of "flat" surface area. Like the green strapping material shown in part of the video that you posted. I know this stuff as we have it at work for strapping bundles of fiber. I think that it is too slick (finish wise) and unless you wrap it up into coils in a specific way, you can easily negate the advantages of what surface area is available as the straps can lay over top of one another and basically close off much of the surface area space for bacterial use. I think the notion of bathroom or toilet brushes would be much more effective that the strapping material, but I don't see the brushes themselves being all that great either. I think the brush bristle structure is great, but combined with the head and the handles of the brush, I think that there is a lot of volume that is wasted.

I chose the Kaldnes K3 media personally. I know that it is expensive, but the geometric structure of the discs seems just right for the job to me. It's meant to be used as a "moving bed" filter media, but judging from the structure, I don't see why it couldn't serve just as well if it were packed into a confined vessel and the water just run through it.

My concept may not be accurate, but I have a gut instinct that there are two major qualities that are desired. High water flow with little or no restriction and a very large surface area for the water to come in contact with. Besides that, it should be OPEN enough that the bacteria culture growth will not close up the pores or channels and it should NOT allow algae growth within it.

I guess I don't like flat surfaces much. It just seems to me that such structures can stick to eachother or lay against eachother and close off pathways too readily. Pathways for water should be wide open as to not restrict the flow, but still be able to pass over each bacterial culture so that the bacteria can come into contact with the water and "scrub" the ammonia or nitrites and other chemicals out of it.

If you want to do this within a confined space, you must get the "mesh" of the biological filter just right for your specific application.
Such a biological filter (converter) can be fabricated to be extremely efficient if thought out very methodically.

I don't believe that I am thinking too hard on this issue, it just seems logical to me that a person designing a filtration and a bio-converter should strive for the best possible design at the least possible cost. If some sort of media is free for the taking, I see no problem in utilizing it if it may work acceptably. But, I wouldn't go out and purchase anything that has not been proven to work.

Well, anyway these are just my humble thoughts about media for a bio-converter. I will let it go at that and allow you to pick your media through your own accord.

I wish you good luck with whatever you test, but don't forget to report back with the results here (pro or con).

Gordy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use the strapping in my filter, it is only about 1/4" wide and is not stuffed into the filter, it does not really lay overtop itself. Sure there are going to be areas where the strapping is crossing over itself but as long as you don't over stuff it, the stuff works. Mine came with my filter and have used it for 7 years now.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Gordy; There are two distinctly different types of strapping available. The type you use at work has a smooth, almost slippery surface, but I believe that the strapping used in filters has a rough, dimpled surface which would provide somewhat greater surface area as well as avoiding the 'overlay' problem you were talking about.
Todd; am I right in assuming your strapping has the rough texture? Thanks.
John

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what I actually have the strapping not the girl :razz:
a20792a12440294f80ffa_m.jpg

Reaction score
You're right John and Todd. The strapping we get at work has a really slick surface, no embossed pattern to it. Looking at it, I didn't think it would be very good to use.

Then, I was thinking... Doesn't the bacteria secrete a sort of mucous to attach themselves to the subrate? Maybe the slick finish wouldn't make a great difference anyway. Still better to have the embossed pattern - more surface area.

Gordy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you can find the wider poly strapping that is 1/2" wide, it is used for strapping big boxes to pallets and stuff like that you could use it b/c it has a rough texture to it. Here is a link. You could get 9000 feet for $43 and I think you could split it down the middle relatively easy once you get it started. If you do use something like this I recommend some sort of mesh bag to keep it in your filter to make it easier to pull out and clean the filter. I fight with mine b/c I have a tree that hangs over it and when I put it in the filter every strand seems to find it's way of getting caught on the branch and flings back at my face with gunk. Just happened today as I shut my pond down.

http://www.packagingsupplies.com/Plastic_Strapping.html

Reaction score
Well the deer fence is the all plastic kind. I don't put metal in the pond. And you are right it is probably buildup. Seems to only happen the most on the rolls that lay horizontal in the filter. I also have the cut up pieces of irrigation tubing. My water peramiters always stay pretty stable.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep was talking to you tmann and wow yes it's quite expensive on that link. Would prolly try the other way you suggested of splitting the cheaper stuff down the middle. And mesh bag would be good for cleaning, makes it super easy to wash off that way.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Poor tmann at least they could have had the girl deliver it to you .In martinsville VA they have a warehouse that throws out a lot of that rougher strapping stuff in plastic bags out by there garbage bins .But the bags they throw it out in are gigantic .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bag is as big as the back of my truck and I looked at it one day but how would I even pick it up .It is from one of those furniture reassembly companies .What I can see they blow the strapping into the bags from inside .Amazing how heavy those bags are also .I was down there for there warehouse sale when I saw the bags .Got a nice puter cabinet with doors to close it up for 30 dollars .

Ask a Question