filter media

Reaction score
When I designed my filter system for my new pond I hadn’t settled on any particular bio media material. I figured I would just build the tank and figure that out later, and I knew I would have all winter to find something. However the place where I ended up picking up my liner was having a customer appreciation BBQ day and a big sale. The sales rep I dealt with pointed out a bunch of pond related equipment they were discontinuing and selling off pretty cheap. Already having to pay for expense of the big liner, I wasn’t really in a favourable position to start buying a lot of other stuff, but I did buy a couple rolls of that Savio SpringFlo strapping stuff (shown in Todd Tmann’s link) It was $29 dollars a roll, which I have since found out to be a pretty good price.
I think how effective the surface area will be would depend largely on how you unroll it into the container or media bag. Obviously if you just dropped the coiled roll in the water, as is, it is not going to do squat. By the same token if you just uncoil it straight down with the coils falling right beside each other, or tie the coils together ( like in the aforementioned video) you are going to have some dead spots. But I think if you make the effort to randomly uncoil the roll in a way that spreads out the stands so they cross (X) each other rather than overlapping (II) like they do while on the roll, it looks to me like it would be very effective at exposing surface area.
Anyway, I have no experience yet with it, my SpringFlo media is still on the rolls and in the box waiting till spring.
The other thing I couldn’t resist buying while I was there was some Malta Filter media (also shown in Todd’s link). This looked like just the ticket for my mechanical filter tank. I got 3 densities, low, medium and high density, and cut them to fit across sideways across my 50 gal tank. They are rigid enough to hold their own shape in the tank without the need to build any bracing to hold the pads in place. They also look like they’ll be easy clean by just lifting them out and hosing them off outside.
Again, it remains to be seen just how effective this stuff will be, but I already know it can’t help but be a lot better than the kind of filter system I had in my old pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet they have that strapping tape somewhere around here, maybe at a furniture store or some other bulky items store like for appliances........hmmmmm, maybe Lowes or H-depot etc?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
become a dumpster diver, you will find it almost everywhere.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great price and guess you did not get a girl with your's either when you bought it .I keep watching lowes and home depot here to see if they will put stuff on sale but nothing yet .Not as many sales on anything for ponds here and not many places carry pond supplies around here

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
become a dumpster diver, you will find it almost everywhere.

What do you mean become a dumpster diver...............been there and doing that for years,lol! Once years ago my son and I were in one behind Value Village and cops came rolling up..........he said to duck.............so I did, not even thinking, just doing what he said. Of course they saw us and told us to come out w/ our hands up. They had guns on us. They said they only pulled the guns cuz we hid.......thank you son! Anyways it all worked out fine and they said come back during the daylight and ask if you can rummage through it. Well you know they (Value Village) won't let ya do that so that's why we were there at night. Shame to let all that good stuff go to the dump!

Reaction score
Unfortunately no girl where I got mine, even the sales person was a guy, but what he lacked in femininity, he made up for in helpfulness, and he did steer me to where the free hamburgers were being served.
Besides, if I know my wife like I think I do, she probably would have made me return the girl anyway.

There are suppose to be some differences between the Savio Springflo “strapping” and regular pallet strapping. For one, regular strapping is generally made from just polypropylene, and Savio says that they make SpringFlo with a calcium carbonate / polypropylene composite, which is suppose to encourage bacteria growth. Also they claim their ribbon is embossed with a diamond pattern which increases surface area by as much as 50%.
Whether those things make a big difference over regular strapping or not,,,,,,,,, who knows?
I don’t think I could find any pallet strapping on the roll for much cheaper then I paid for the SpringFlo, but of course I could go dumpster diving for used pieces and get it for free. J

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dream on haro dream on :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: well jw you would have died doing something you love but not sure that was what you would have wanted to be remebered by .poor mucky just tell your wife she was the new maid and cook ,you gotta think faster .I know around here because of all the recycle laws they have to bag plastics seperate from everything else .Just like there cardboard and styrofoam .If you know anyone who works for a company that uses it and buys it by the roll you could get it that way .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
western pond has fruits and greens food 19.98 for 2 lbs also having a winter sale 15% off just about everything

Reaction score
Mucky waters where did you get your savio filter media at for that price?
Todd I got it at a irrigation supply store in a city about 1 hour away from where I live (Pro Source irrigation). As I said they were having a big customer appreciation day and had whole bunch of pond stuff they were discontinuing and selling off real cheap. I had no idea what the regular price was it was, but I knew I would be needing some bio media, so I bought it. Wasn’t into dumpster diving that day. ;)

Ask a Question