Filter

Reaction score
Hi
We have set up the pond now, it measures approx 3.5m x3.5m and .40m at deepest, we bought a Green geenie 6000 filter and fishmate pond pump 4000 for it, after checking the website to make sure these were adequate. We have 5 ducks, and a about 5 small goldfish.

We have just finished setting up the waterfall and finalising the electrics and have got everything running. The problem is the filter keeps blocking flooding, and we haven't even got the flow turned up to half way! We only refilled the pond on Saturday 14th August, after emptying to clean and get the plant debris out that the ducks took acception to. We now have no plants in the pond. Is it normal for the filter to keep flooding at this stage or have we gone wrong somewhere.
Thanks, Shwhitewine

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is the filter blocking up with? Is the media getting full of debris? It doesn't seem like it should be if you have cleaned out the pond.
Do you clean the media then it works?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shwhitewine said:
Hi Yes, it is dirt and debris from the pond, once the filter pad is cleaned and hosed down it works.

I don't know that filter, but it sounds like the filter material is too fine. Or with the cleaning you still have a lot of stuff floating around. You may want to put in a pre-filter, like the skippy filter, or the doc filter in the diy section of this forum. Let it get the big stuff before it goes into you other filter. Or a settling tank, I can't really help you on how to build them, but there is information in the diy section that might help you. I have read a lot of posts about them.

I am using a large bog as my filter.

Ask a Question