Filtration rate vs. circulation rate. Let's hash this one out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jets and filter returns to stir up the water, in the direction of the filter, really help. Unimpeded 'flow through' circulation is ideal but good luck achieving it! The challenge is most us have all sorts obstructions in our ponds such as rocks, plants even the pump itself sitting on a brick etc. will interfere. I actually quoted myself (ha, sound like Austin Powers!) from a filtration feature I wrote earlier in the century. Whoa, I sound like an old guy. It is actually a very interesting topic. I investigated the topic when I was asked to compare pump performance and filtration. I am glad to see you are aware of the meaningless subjective claims such as 'Super high performance and maximum energy efficiency!" As compared to what? @addy1 hit the nail on the head. Looking just at wattage can be deceiving. Putting this in the automotive arena; one might look at the size and horsepower of a Corvette engine and think, "Whoa, I bet this thing sucks a ton of gas at high speed." But in reality, that massive engine is half stepping at highway speed and only sipping fuel.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pulling water from different areas of your pond into your intake would help too, I guess.
My bog waterfalls into one area, water trickles/flows over the bog wall the entire length of the pond, the skimmer is at the far end away from the waterfall and pump intake. There is also the stream waterfall which is on a different edge of the pond and the waterfall from the 1000 gallon stock tank, and a slow water fall from the three small loop ponds. I made sure all areas of the pond had water moving in it just thinking out waterfalls, skimmer, pump draw, etc.

Not the best writing but here is how the flow goes. Loop is the three small ponds fed water via a garden hose then flow back into the big pond. WF = water fall. The bog is at the upper part of the picture, the bog wall has water flowing over most of it. The waterfall rock gets the majority of flow. BTW we are still warm and green, this is a old picture
pond flow.JPG

Ask a Question