Filtration: What's enough?

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the beginning stagegs of planning my 1400 gallon goldfish pond and I have decided on:

1. Jebao*AMP 16000 (4100gph) Pond Pump
2. Atlantic Garden Pond Waterfall Filter - 14" waterfall

I am trying to start off as cheaply as possible and I am wondering if the submersible pump built in filter along with the waterfall filter will be enough filtration? The pump has another outlet to attach either a skimmer or submersible filter but I was hoping to add that at a later date.

The pump info is here: http://www.shop4fish.com/product-p/jbamp03.htm

I would appreciate any knowledge you could share around this setup along with any problems I should anticipate.

Thanks again!

C:regular_waving_emot

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where are you located? How many fish are you thinking of having in the pond. There are a lot of variables.

and welcome to the group!
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Reaction score
Thanks...I am in Charlotte, North Carolina...I am not sure about the number of fish...I can see why that would be important to the filtration, maybe a better question would be can I support X fish with this setup? Can this setup support 1 goldfish, 2...3...4...5...20?

Thanks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pump looks like it will move a lot of water, the satellite filter will get clogged up quickly, in my opinion.

It does not appear to have a filter built in, per the description, more of a sump pump type design, it can handle dirty water. Your water fall filter will catch some of the the junk, You might want to look at the diy section and build one of the filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Just for comparison, my new pond is about the same size as yours, and I used two 55-gal barrels for biofilters, plus trying to add as many plants as I can to the water. Once its all established, it should have no problem supporting a large number of koi and goldfish. If you plan on adding any fish at all, I'd do at least one 55-gal biofilter, just to help balance the water and control the Spring algae bloom.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
impius said:
Thanks...Took a look at your pond (or lake :) )...Really awesome!

Thanks, it is a passion, all started cause honey bought me a tractor! Love the life it brings to the yard.

Ask a Question