First pond planning, still trying to grasp the basics...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
One of my favorites is Parrots Feather. I like the way it sprawls over the surface of the water.You can tuck it in between rocks or in your waterfall or stream. Another plant that is good for oxygen is Anacharis and make sure you have enough of it cuz the fish like to eat it :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather does grow well, almost to the point of being invasive, but it sure is nice looking. Try different plants, you never know what will do well, even land plants lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I'm going to try that plant sounds interesting and I like the way it looks in the pics here

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
How do I choose a pump guys? I need some help with that whole thing... would like to stay as far under $300 as possible. :lol: But I want a quality pump with a good warranty.

Oh, I think I want a mag drive submersible one, rated at least 2000 gph.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a Beckett W1150 for my primary pump for the bio filter. I also use a couple of 3200GPH Harbor Freight pumps for circulation between ponds and for my large waterfall.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have mosquito fish and have not had a problem, they have not reproduced at all, still have the same 12. However my goldfish have reproduced like crazy, so the mosquito fish must not be eating the goldies eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've had rosy's in my pond for the last couple years. We were originally hoping they would breed like crazy, as we use them as feeder fish for the cichlids inside, but that hasn't happened. Rosys get along great in the pond though, and have no trouble surviving the Winters. From what I've read, they are native to Iowa.

On the matter of pumps, my recent choice is the Laguna max-flo submersible. I picked up a pair of 2900's online for $170 each. The pumps definitely put out a LOT of water, and they are supposed to be good long-lasting pumps... time will tell on this.

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I love hearing all this. I'm pretty happy, I stopped into a local greenhouse where they have ponds and talked to the owner. He just happened to be who greeted and helped me... turns out he has a lot of things in stock that are good brands. He will help with the whole process too... he said for me to come back in a few weeks when he has all his waterfalls going and we can choose what kind of set up we want. He makes bio filters in the 55 gal drum too, but his are like $225... I think I read somewhere that you can make the one on here around $100? Is that right?

He said his favorite pump is a Pondmaster, and then his 2nd go-to pump is a Lauguna. He has them all there so that way I don't have to take chances on something being broken. All the ones he recommended were less then $250, most under $200. He also carries the Firestone 45 mil liner! .80 sq. ft. I'll have to compare that with ordering online, because I know it's a little cheaper online, but then you have to pay shipping so it might work out to get it locally.

Very cool... I can't wait to talk with him more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Let me think on the biofilters... I built two 55's. $40 for food-grade barrels, around $60 for 9000 feet of plastic strapping, $20 for the plastic light-fixture gratings, $6 for mesh laundry bags, $20 for green scrubbie pads, and somewhere around $40 for the 2" pipe plumbing fixtures (swirler in the bottom plus drains, exit spouts, and pipe). So that all comes out to $186 plus the time to put it together -- $93 for each filter.

So yeah... around $100 sounds just about right. That's assuming, of course, that you have the tools on hand such as hole-saws to mount the pipes into your barrel.

I think the hardest part for a newcomer, when trying to design their first waterfall, is that you really have no visual concept of what XXX gallons per hour looks like. We can't even use a garden hose as a measurement, because every city's water pressure is different. It sounds like your local store is going to help with that by having a waterfall display, and the good thing is that if your water flow is too low, you can always add a second pump that ONLY flows over the falls.

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Let me think on the biofilters... I built two 55's. $40 for food-grade barrels, around $60 for 9000 feet of plastic strapping, $20 for the plastic light-fixture gratings, $6 for mesh laundry bags, $20 for green scrubbie pads, and somewhere around $40 for the 2" pipe plumbing fixtures (swirler in the bottom plus drains, exit spouts, and pipe). So that all comes out to $186 plus the time to put it together -- $93 for each filter.

So yeah... around $100 sounds just about right. That's assuming, of course, that you have the tools on hand such as hole-saws to mount the pipes into your barrel.

I think the hardest part for a newcomer, when trying to design their first waterfall, is that you really have no visual concept of what XXX gallons per hour looks like. We can't even use a garden hose as a measurement, because every city's water pressure is different. It sounds like your local store is going to help with that by having a waterfall display, and the good thing is that if your water flow is too low, you can always add a second pump that ONLY flows over the falls.

Cool, yeah my Husband has a pretty well stocked garage... and I think he's into this part of it- making the filter, so I don't want to A- take that enjoyment away form him, and B-Spend double on something from someone else! lol.

Yeah I haven't even thought about that aspect yet! What the waterfall will look like. I'm very glad I'll be able to go look, seems like mistakes in planning end up being expensive and time consuming. :-/ This guy said he can custom fit your waterfall inside the top of the 55 gal. drum so that it all just works together. I'm pretty interested in seeing what he means, maybe we can do it ourselves. :)

Ask a Question