Planning another pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Planning a new Pond for my yard. Still deciding whether I am going to make a stream connecting it to my old pond, or make it stand alone. I am still worrying about location. I have a weeping willow. It's going to be a challenge to figure out the safest place to put the new pond. The roots are something to worry about. I am contemplating whether I should cut the tree down or not. That would add a sizable expense to the project. But it may be necessary. I have been on the fence about cutting this tree down for 10 years. It leans toward my house, and a lot of branches fall off of it. Large branches die and break off from time to time, but I do like the tree. Any opinions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am not a big fan if weeping willows, at least not in the yard. They are just too messy for me. And if it was between a great spot for a pond and the willow, it would be the pond for me!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one at my house in NJ and had to cut it down the first year we were in the house and it also was leaning toward the house .The insurance company before the closing on the house did not want to insure the house with it there so we went halves with the old owner on cost to take it down .A week before we were going to take it got hit by lightening and split part of it in half and we were lucky the half that came down just missed the house and hubby and i took the rest down with the help of some of my dads chainsaws and my knowledge of taking trees down .My dad used to do it as a living .Sure did amaze neighbors when they saw a 5 foot woman taking down a 30 foot tree branch by branch and knowing what she was doing .Rope sling works wonders for tree removal .top to bottom and gone .They can be weak trees because of there canopy and also prone to ant infestation that weakens the tree from the inside out .Hope this makes your decision easier ,better now than on your new pond and you saying I wish I had taken it down before this .:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our neighbor had one that fell apart, beautiful tree until it hit their house.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All trees are beautiful until some one plants them in the wrong spot or plants a tree that will get bigger than the space allows .My trees are all away from the house and far enough from the driveway also so roots don't mess up my driveway .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lately, I've had a love - hate relationship with our trees. Our region has been hard hit with the Emerald Ash Borer, wiping out most of our Ash trees :( We had a huge one, beside the pond and a gorgeous cedar tree. Although they created a mess in the pond, I loved them......we even had an arborist treat the Ash, in hopes of saving it.

Recently we had very high winds and the Cedar split and crashed across the pond, hitting the back of our garage. We ended up having both taken down. The pond is in full sun now, so trying to figure out some shade options.

Honestly, as much as I miss the trees, it's a relief to not worry about them crashing on our house anymore.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Shade can always be made .A well placed pergola to block the sun from where it is coming down from works good and gives you a nice viewing area but high sun nothing works on that is right over the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since we're in a discussion of trees.... Where my pond is will be about 20-30' I would guess from a maple (still young), but it will provide no shade as it's north of the pond. Only the house is south of the pond, but to the NW of the pond I could put a smaller tree that could provide some shade for part of the day.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tree that will stay short (20-25') and exist in the understory of a maple. And has a broad spread to provide shade and is hardy in zone 5. (A long list, I know.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a weeping willow in the yard we planted as a little tiny thing in fall 2010. Now it's about 30' tall and sits about 15' from the edge of the pond.

I love it, but its not without fault... It is messy, I am always cleaning up the debri from under it. It has yet to cause any issues with the pond other than being messy. The pond and tree have cohabited since June 2011. It may cause some issues eventually but I am not sure. It is planted far enough away from any structures to cause problems. There is no under ground water plumbing for it to bother in that area. We have flood irrigation with the ditch in the other direction from the pond so I hope the roots would travel toward the ditch rather than the pond. But I don't know for sure.

All in all its a great tree I wouldn't remove unless we were forced to.
Here is a picture taken last week.
DSCN9293.JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lately, I've had a love - hate relationship with our trees. Our region has been hard hit with the Emerald Ash Borer, wiping out most of our Ash trees :(

Same here Tula. I had a large ash tree which provided really nice shade for my pond and patio that I had to remove a couple of years ago.

@Jeff Kraemer, I miss the shade the ash tree provided the pond, but I am really happy that I don't have to clean up after it anymore. I am thinking it might be the same for your willow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is full blasting sun. It does fine without shade. The maple gives a touch of shade to the bog as the sun rotates. It is 10 feet from the bog but also around 10 feet lower. Good old slope.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I use a rake... And I drink... Lol
The only good thing is both years now it has pretty much just all dropped within about a week. I will look at covering it next year though during this time.
It looks pretty cool though. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Both @tbendl and I were talking last year in early winter about our tree messes and I think we both have plans to nets the ponds during the late fall early winter going forward. That would make our lives easier for sure,

Ask a Question