First Pond

Reaction score
Hey,
After a lot of help from the forum I filled up my first pond today. Its a 250 gallon preformed liner with frog skin liner inside. It took about 15 minutes to fill up from my garden hose. I plan to move in my fish in a few days. I want to get them in before the temps get to low. Heres a few pics.

Attachments

• pond!! 007.jpg
    pond!! 007.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 210

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make sure you test your water before you add your fish. The frog skin looks like it fits well. Make sure you float your fish also.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just a thought...how about putting a couple layers of landscape block around the pond and and putting the liner over them with some capping.. it will increase your pond volume significantly and make a bigger enviroment for your fish, and make its maintainence easier. looks like you may have enough liner to do the job. or even some landscape 6" "bender board".

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clemsonguy1125 said:
The picture makes it look like I have a lot more than I really do, I probably olny have about 1.5 feet at most places.

That is still enough to pull it up at least a foot, use the .5 foot under a cap rock.

Reaction score
Its a good 2 feet, and just ten or so goldfish and a few minnows. It gets at coldest probably around 20 degrees, and for snow we maybe get a12 inches at most each winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
every bit of water volume added adds to the stability of the pond. both in temperature and biological / chemical make up

Reaction score
Thanks, I may try but I havent decided, Im adding the cycling fish today. Would you bother putting the pump and filter in since winters so close. Also how should I store the pump in the winter. I have heard to keep it in a bucket of water to stop seals from drying out. My pumps the 1258 gph model from harbor freight

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
clemsonguy1125 said:
Hey,
For my filter would this work.

Imho it would, your pond is not big, the scrubbies do well, but others may have other ideas.

Reaction score
clemsonguy1125 said:
Also how should I store the pump in the winter. I have heard to keep it in a bucket of water to stop seals from drying out.
I have a 1200 gph submersible that I ran continuously for over a year. Due to a move, I pulled it in Sept. of ’99, put it in a box and never looked at it until I put it in my current pond in Dec. of ’07. It is still serving well today. :heartpump:

Ask a Question