first post pond help !

Reaction score
hi all. this is my first post we have been planning our pond for a long time now since we moved into our home. (in slough) we even dug it out as we intended to do it last year but some more important situations stopped us in our tracks. so evidently we have ad plenty time to plan and think. we've agreed on a raised pond, 'L shaped', with a waterfall. and we left it there hoping to do it sometime late next year now hopefully.

something recently crossed my mind. how can we have a waterfall go into a raised pond ? we want a waterfall that doesnt trickle, but flow down, can somebody please give me some explanations, ideas and pictures (most helpfull) to guide us on what to do. we want to use all 'faced' blocks, no bricks and no natural stone or boulders for cost reasons as the whole garden needs overhauling.

i would be greatfull for all and any of your replies that would be of any help.

would be looking forward to everyones replies !!

kind regards
zuhayr rehan :)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome to the forum! For a waterfall to go into a raised pond, all you need to do is to make the waterfall higher than the pond surface. What are you doing for filtration? I've seen some ponds where they have a shower filter going into the pond and doubling as a waterfall.

Reaction score
well last year when we spoke to the rep at our local garden center, they just said that it would be best for us to get a filter with a uv clarifier but in terms of brand or product, i have no idea. i just thought id speak to a salesman to get help on pump and filters :/ ... and yes i understand the the waterfall must be higher then the pond but i cannot imagine it with a wall around the pond ? (i do hope you understand.) ive seen some pictures but only of those who have used boulders to make them look natural, we want to use the same blocks that we will use for the pond wall ...
thanks

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Good point John. Some type of tower filtration system would be ideal. Zuhayr: If your raised pond design butts up against a hill or incline, a spillway could be produced to drop water into the raised pool. Good luck, and welcome to our forum.

Reaction score
thanks for the welcomes (and your both almost instant replies)....
i should let yourselves know that i am indeed a newbie so i'd be greatfull if you could explain to me any suggestions. ... the whole garden is more or less flat (majority of gardens in the UK are neither large or natural in landscape or shape unfortunately)
would anyone have pictures of a good designed waterfall into a raised pond (that is all flat and not against a hill) this is the part i am having most trouble planning, and i really dont want a mistake in my first pond.

i am sure either of you or anyone else has the expertise to help this newbie out ...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What is the size of your pond? What do you plan to have in it and do you have any pics of the area you want it in? The more info we have, the more info we can give.

Reaction score
i do apologize, i should have added more info beforehand.
right. as its an L shaped pond, the sizes will be in 2 rectangles. rectangle 1 = 1.2m by 3m ... rectangle 2 = 2m by 1m.
i do hope that it makes sense.
the pond will have south eastern sun in the mornings, and have shade from about after 1pm (still dappeled sun, not complete shade). its in the corner of the garden. so there is a garden wall along 2 sides of the pond. no tree debris will be present. we plan to have goldfish and similar fish in them, not koi. we're not sure on plants yet but i dont want any...

i wil add pictures of the site at a later time as its night now in the corner of the world.

please do let me know if any more information is needed.
thanks

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Just a side note, I made a "L" shaped pond, half burried and above ground. I am not sure what kind of liner you are planning, but in my case I had to seam two together to get the affect I wanted. I was sucessful but many people have problems with the seams. Just food for thought.

Also I used my filter (55 gallon barrels) placed on slitghtly raised ground to make my waterfall.

Reaction score
yes we had thought of that, we where told that we can silicone them together with 'animal friendly' silicone.
thanks alot diesel power, for the slipway thing. it had jelped alot.
now if anyone could link some images of some brick'block built waterfalls ? the only waterfalls i can find are those made of stone and boulders, or those built into a hill or a slope. i must stress that i have a good idea on all the building side of things, i just need to know how to build the waterfall from blocks and desperately need images to help me understanig how it would look ?

i would be greatful if anyone could help me out here.

many many thanks in advance !!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I have some friends that have done a very nice waterfall in a block / brick wall. The water comes out mid way via a weir.
The image is when the pond is still under construction

attachment-5.jpg

Ask a Question