addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a laser level (already had it) even with using it and building on a slope I ended up with some not low enough issues lol.

Make sure you dig a shallow ledge all around the pond that you put rocks on to cover the liner, makes a real nice pond edge.
rock edge.JPG

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I managed to take a couple of crappy pictures while working on it last Fall. Attached is the best one. The front deck would be to the right of the pond. Now it's blanketed in snow so I can't take pictures of any progress since then. I attached a design of what I was aiming for for reference. As you can see, there is a rock in the lower right of the picture that I have to some how remove or chisel out. The upper portion would be the bog that's going to waterfall back into the pond. I'll be working on lengthening the bog area in the Spring.

Anybody have any recommendations on checking the water level before filling? I was looking at laser levels but they're pretty expensive.
i like your pond scumfrog and welcome. too bad yall dont live close by i got lots of flat rocks in my way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The suggested depth of the gravel in the bog is at least 12 inches. Some have it deeper. Some real deep. I have about 12 inches of gravel and since adding the bog, I've had the clearest water I've ever had in over a decade.

One concern I have about what you stated... you said the bog berm would be 12 inches high. Is that the total depth? You're going to want the bog walls a bit higher than the top of your gravel to allow for expansion. I built mine much higher, maybe overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about water escaping over the walls.

Here's my bog build:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, concerning your liner:
Do not skimp on your liner. It's the very base of your project. Do not use a PVC liner. The price may be attractive, but you will be tearing your pond apart in a matter of months.
Ask me how I know!
When I was a newbie, I bought a PVC liner at one of the big home improvement stores. I didn't know any better. In the dead of winter a major leak occurred. I had to keep adding 300 gallons of water each week until Spring when I was able to replace the liner. That PVC liner had a huge tear in it and it was hard and brittle from the sun's UV light.

45 mil. EPDM with the proper underlayment is the preferred choice. HDRPE is another good one. It's a little stiffer than EPDM. I used HDRPE for my bog. My pond is EPDM.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all!! I used Autodesk Inventor to design it. I will be adding a shallow shelf all the way around the edge of the pond for rocks. Also, the liner is the last thing I'm going to skimp out on. I'm going with a firestone 45 mil EPDM.
One thing I noticed is that the walls are slowly eroding since they are exposed to the elements. Therefore, I'll probably have to re-shape some of the walls and expand the size of the pond in the Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Buying a blue tarp from any hardware store will be the best 40 to 60 bucks you ever spent to keep this sides in tact

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Welcome. I am also in southeast Wisconsin. I have two pond breathers in my 25x35 pond. I also have two small pumps setup om the shelves bubbling at the surface. It maybe overkill but when we had a deep freeze a few years ago, I lost my 4 koi and a lot of comets.

As far as a level goes, Google water levels and make it your self with clear tubing. That is what I had always used before my son had access to a laser level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just becareful with water levels they have to have tubing large enough so that no air bubbles can touch and limit the water sounds impossible but it's not a small tube like a aquarium air line hose is too small can it work yes can it give wrong readings yes easily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Just becareful with water levels they have to have tubing large enough so that no air bubbles can touch and limit the water sounds impossible but it's not a small tube like a aquarium air line hose is too small can it work yes can it give wrong readings yes easily
I used 1/2 inch clear tubing when I did this. Not everyone has access to a laser level so this would be a workable option if using to correct size tube.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1/2" is perfect but tapping the line if it's been full of water for a while is worth while to get bubbles from developing in the line. Water levels can be extremely accurate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ah, the ole' water level! That was the mainstay back in the day. Simple and accurate. I saw many carpenters on the job use them back then. They didn't have laser levels (yet). Now there's all kinds of lasers all over the place. Spot lasers, line levels, rotating levels. They made my plumb-bob obsolete! Saves time and effort...big time. No need for the ole' chalk box either. Just shoot a line with the laser. Quick and easy lay-outs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will say we used a plumb bob to level our pond - worked just fine. Of course, our max distance was 20 feet, so that might matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will say we used a plumb bob to level our pond - worked just fine. Of course, our max distance was 20 feet, so that might matter.
ah, Lisa? How do you use a plumb bob to find level? I thought plumb bobs were for finding true vertical?

Ask a Question