addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we are under winter storm warning, 4-9 inches of snow falling tomorrow.............we will probably end up with broken trees too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just rain here but supposed to only 40 degrees tomorrow and hopefully no snow mixed in

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well our rain is now rain and snow, predicting 4-9 inches to fall today. Our trees are still leaf covered this may break a bunch of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
herzausstahl - I'm not completely certain of the first ones I got, but I think there was one Asian and two European types of the spotted loaches (just judging by differences in body style). I also added five of the goldens, but I know one of those died in the first week. Otherwise the only confirmed death I've had in the pond is one of the new koi. I just really hope that they're doing well and eventually will be too large to hide.

It's about impossible to determine what info is correct about them. There's plenty of aquarium sites that say the weather loaches can survive down to about 65F, and then there are a number of other sites which put them down to 4C. This last number seems more reasonable, but I figure if they are native to Northern regions where the water freezes over, then hopefully they should do just fine here.

addy - Hope your trees fare better than ours did. I'm trying to make some good out of the whole mess by chopping up the wood to let it dry out. I was told that maple gives a nice flavor to some meats in the smoker, and this should about give me a lifetime supply.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my father used to get customers that wanted apple trees taken down and we sold all the wood we cleared from lots and people treasured firewood from apple trees .They like the smell they gave off ,pear trees give off a great smell in a fireplace too .I just used to like the scent of them as my father was cutting them down .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never will know since I have never eaten meat .My neighbor lost a peach tree last year and I cut it down the rest of the way and drug it home and started the fireplace with it as it's a little chilly out and it smells good and you can smell it outside too

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn, I can identify with you and this storm! Here in my neck of Nebraska, we get a lot of the winter wind and heavy snow and tree-breaking ice. It can be a mess! Over the last three years, I have even had to walk home a few times because the snow and ice on the road wouldn't allow my car to make it home. Well, it ain't made for that kind of travel. I have a steep hill to climb at the last bit. One night I had to walk home while it was still in the midst of a blizzard. It wasn't fun, about 1.5 miles uphill against the wind and I wasn't properly dressed for it. Worst thing about a winter storm at this time of year, is that many of the trees still have leaves on and sap in the branches. That's why the trees break so easily, they have a lot of weight on the branches. Maple trees aren't that sturdy to begin with, put them through your storm and they fall apart!

May I ask, is your "avatar" or signature photo here on the forum that of Maureen O'Hara from the movie "The Quiet Man"? I think it looks very familiar. It looks like one of the poses she made in the movie during the hat race. Gordy

Ask a Question