Fish All Gone

Reaction score
I have had a pond for 15 years with no problems. I have used this forum for many years and have read and learned new things. I alway cover my pond in fall so leaves do not get into it. Then I uncover it early December before our great WI freeze. This year the fish were all fine when I uncovered it. We have had tons of snow and extreme weather here so to get to the pond has not been easy. Got there the other day and found to my surprise all 20 fish I have had for 15 years are gone. No where to be found. I have always kept my fish out in the winter with a heater and our pump running. Heck the pond barely unfroze except for the open spots. Another strange thing is that there was a lot of algae. I never saw this in winter hear. This is just so heartbreaking. Now I look at the pond and am so very sad. I told my husband I think we will just fill it now. No more fun with the grandchildren. They loved to feed the fish. I can never afford to replace all those beautiful fish that were so dear to my heart. I can't imagine what have gotten to them in winter. This is so strange. My pond is very close to my house I can see it well from my kitchen window and is is alway lit up. Sad thing to happen for a new year. Thanks for all the information I got through the years, I wish all you ponders a wonder spring and summer with your ponds!

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear your news.

It is amazing what a difference the fish make to a home and how they are missed.

Are you sure they have really gone and are not just hiding in the deepest part of the pond?

Do you have seagulls in you area, we have big problems with seagulls and they are frequently seen lifting fish from ponds, they are also not afraid to get close to the house.

Best Wishes

Kay

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats real bad news for all the fish to be gone..

Is there any thing in the pond they could be hidding under???

Reaction score
Thanks for all your kinds words. No I can see down to the bottom of the pond it is about 4-5 feet deep. No where they could be hidding. We do have seagulls here but they leave by September or October. So..my only guess is another critter. Although even the coons are not seen in our winter time. If it were summer time I would think a seagull or crane or something but nothing is moving this winter around here! That is why I am just so shocked. Not much I can do about it, but it is sad. Thanks again everyone, I will keep up with the forum, I really enjoy this site.

Reaction score
I thought about someone stealing the fish, but we saw no footprints two legged or 4. So my guess is some bird took them. Thank you everyone for being so kind.

Reaction score
Don't give up! we learn as we go. Get a few more fish and begin again. Lessons learned can prevent this from happening again. Pond lovers never quit we learn and continue on.
Keep the love going.

Reaction score
I don't think a fishing bird would be wading at this time of the year, most of the pond is frozen. That is what is so strange, we saw no tracks in the snow around the pond. But we did have two melt downs but by that time we had noticed the fish were gone. This is just a mystery. I don't think we will ever know what happened to all of those fish.And so strange after 15 years of doing the same thing with no problem. I honestly couldn't afford to purchase all those nice koi again, and the places I did get them in our area are no longer around. So... it is very dishearting. I really do think we will just fill it in. I will miss the pond and all the plants it is in a most attractive place. But in the next five years I plan on moving out of Wisconsin anyway. So I have wonderful memories of building the pond and all the joy it bought to us and the grandkids. That will never be gone!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its sad to see your so disheartened, throw $5.00 worth of feeder fish in...that will give you 40 fish or so. it would be a shame to kill a family "tradition".

Reaction score
symphonic said:
This year the fish were all fine when I uncovered it. We have had tons of snow and extreme weather here so to get to the pond has not been easy.

symphonic said:
I thought about someone stealing the fish, but we saw no footprints two legged or 4. So my guess is some bird took them. Thank you everyone for being so kind.

well if there was heavy snow you wouldnt see foot prints...especially if it happened at night

Ask a Question