So, where have my fish gone?

Reaction score
Now the weather is warming up in the UK, my fish are more active. I have noticed one Tench is missing. Presumably he died during the cold spell when the pond froze over, the only thing is I cannot find a dead fish?? Also a few days ago I noticed one of the shubunkins acting strange, not moving much, not chasing the other fish etc. Again I though he may be on the way out, the rest of the fish seem fine and the dodgy one had no obvious signs of being ill.

Now since yesterday I havent seen him, again no dead body?? I am pretty sure I havent had any predators, if I had there would be no fish (its a small pons and has other more brightly coloured fish).

The main question is, if those two fish had died and were still in the pond somewhere, maybe under a rock would this be hazardous to the other fish?

Cheers for any help/advice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

I have fish in my pond don't see them very often, once in 7 months, well maybe twice, but it was winter, they are very good at hiding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeeyes9.gif
nezbutz
Could a snake have eaten any? They would only take one now and then. If they are dead, yes it could foul the water. Keep looking, sooner or later if dead they would float to the top I would think. I've found some floaters once in awhile in my pond :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Tench do like to stay out of sight, if your weather has warmed he may well be laying low preferring cooler water. If you check your pond at dawn, you might spot fish gasping if oxygen levels are low, that's a time that heron are likely to make easy pickings

Floating fish may well be found by foxes or cats...

Regards, andy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes and advices!!

I believe those two fish have been taken by something, I am 99% sure they are not in the pond anymore. I think the most likely cause would be the fish dying and floating to the top, then being eaten by a cat. We have quite a few cats around here and I have seen them sitting on the banks of the pond. Luckily it has fairly steep sides, so the cats havent been able to get alive fish hiding at the bottom, dead floaters.....easy prey I think!

Oh well, a trip to the garden centre I think!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually, If a fish dies and goes unnoticed for over 48 hours, the fish, tadpoles, insects and such will make very quick use of all the stuff breaking down, When a fish floats it means the swimbladders has filled with gases, In most cases that bladder is very easily ruptured once it starts decomposing. Then they sink into the murk and naturally decay. Of course when it floats up it is easy for cats, racoons, birds, snakes and such to get to them. On a small fish you may notice some increase in ammonia and nitrates for a few days and then it will settle back down as long as the filter is working correctly, However the more waste to breakdown and the bigger the fish the more dangerous the situation. I've read in a few forums about tench being shy and not showing up until most of the other fish start readily eating. They tend to hide a little longer and tryto stay deep longer than some of the other fish. But be on the look out for predators, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. I just got in from cutting the grass in the middle of the day, walk to the back door and my lab earned himself a steak dinner tonight! he had a Very large snowy egret and was proudly showing me he did his job!!!! Hurray for my Johhny man!,

Ask a Question