fish breeding

Reaction score
hi everyone last year my shibunkins and koi spawned and now i have 2 baby fish that i love to bits they are about the size of a little finger i was wondering i would like to get my fish to spawn some more and i wanted to know i have a pump in my pond will that pump up and kill the spawn as i have read that they can spawn thousands of young but i only have 2 that survived i know the other fish also eat the young i was wondering if my pump is doing more damage than good any advice would be great fully recived
:razz:​

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pump if it has a cover on it will not harm the baby fish .I have 2 pumps in my pond and they both have covers over the front part .I had a pump vault but took it out as it kept getting clogged up .I also had one fish that got sucked in a couple of weeks ago and now I just put the cover back on and put the pumps inside a milk crate with bags of lava rock around them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of people here who want to make sure they keep there babes alive take them out and raise them in tanks .But remember every year your fish will have babes and you will end up over populated with fish and you will have to get rid of some or build a bigger pond and bigger filtration system and also get an air pump to give them more oxygen .I started off with 8 fish and only kept a few of the babes the others I gave to neighbors who started ponds and I still have 13 here .To many as they get big fast my aggie was only a couple of inches long when I got her 8 years ago and is now over 2 feet long .They grow faster than I thought they would

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not going to help any fry survive, they are on their own. ow we will be over run with fish. I am not trying to breed, sell fish though. Just want a nice pond with fish in it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
By the look of your video addy you have more babes than you can handle and you will get more next year .What are you going to do .Here you said in the spring you did not have many fish and now WOW.I look at your videos and gosh it looks like a crowded city

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
By the look of your video addy you have more babes than you can handle and you will get more next year .What are you going to do .Here you said in the spring you did not have many fish and now WOW.I look at your videos and gosh it looks like a crowded city

The one good thing when you see them in the video they are all clustered together in one spot of the pond. When they are spread out the fish load is really not that bad ..............yet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you want them to stop multiplying when you think you are full up just stop feeding them or slack off quite a bit anyways. They will eat up all the eggs and fry and no population growth! I never fed mine for the first several yrs and never got any new ones except maybe a lucky one or two.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want them to stop multiplying when you think you are full up just stop feeding them or slack off quite a bit anyways. They will eat up all the eggs and fry and no population growth! I never fed mine for the first several yrs and never got any new ones except maybe a lucky one or two.

They only get fed once a day, maybe twice. ow natural pond food is what they live on.

Ask a Question