Fish dieing due to bushfires

Reaction score
Country
Australia
@callingcolleen1 here who is in Canada covers her ponds nicely in the winter w/plastic and weighs the sides down so heat stays in. Perhaps this would work for keeping the smoke particles out of yours. She has many video's on her covers. Scroll down towards the bottom of this link and you will see one on her winter covers: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/page-98
Thank you I’ll have a look but It’s tricky because it’s very hot here some days

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So today is 30 degrees and raining, so have had to take cover it was getting to hot unfortunately I have lost nearly all my fish I only have 3 that arnt don’t well ...

I want to know what I should do from here ? Should I empty pond and start over or water change ? What does everyone think ? I am willing to wait until pond water is ready not in a rush for fish also my plants arnt doing very well I am not sure if they will be ok or if I need some new ones when I sort out water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@Joyy did your place survive the fires?

If so, you could add a pond/aquarium chiller, but I would probably just start over from scratch when the air clears. I would just bring anything that's left alive inside in a stock tank in the house in the meantime and drain the pond and start over next season, keeping the plants you have inside under some timed grow lights in a stock tank. Any surviving fish can go in there too, but you'll probably need an aquarium filter to keep the fish going inside.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Unfortunately I lost all my fish even my plants didn’t do well so have started totally fresh ! At the moment there’s only plants, I am looking for the best filter to use now

Ask a Question